Replacing Graphics Card (ATI Mob Radeon HD3650)

MattK_UK

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Hi guys, long story short I never cleaned my laptop's innards out in the four years I've owned it, and it developed a fault where the graphics were duplicated multiple times around the screen. I took it to a local repair shop, who cleaned out all the dust and told me that my graphics card was burnt out.

I've dismantled my laptop today to have a look myself, and I think I've located the graphics card (please note that I'm not tremendously tech-savvy, this is all done using tons of research and intuition). However I can't seem to find a replacement online anywhere.

So my question is, is this the graphics card itself (that I've removed and photographed)? And if so, how should I go about finding a replacement card?

p1020167q.jpg

p1020168k.jpg

Many thanks :)

kurjack

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
I would go about looking for the same model of laptop on ebay or craigslist. However you are unlikely to find anything worthwhile or cheap. I would recommend buying a new laptop instead of trying to replace that card as you would have to find the exact same card or another compatible card with the exact same shape in order for it to fit back inside your laptop.

MattK_UK

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
@kurjack - Yes I know, I'm planning on replacing it with an identical card. It was a pretty high-spec machine for its time (I'm still buying a new laptop, this is just as a personal project), so it is still a viable machine. If I find an identical card, will I be able to just swap it in, then?

@swifty_morgan - I suspect you don't actually know what you're talking about.. those are screwholes at the edges of the graphics card, which is the entity I want to replace. What are you referring to as soldered?

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
What is the Brand, Model and Model number of the laptop? With this information we might be able to locate a replacement part. I was able to replace the motherboard in an older laptop from 2004 for $40, so I'd think that your part is likely out there, thought, like my mobo, probably not brand new.

I think morgan was referring to the chip being soldered onto the board in your pics.

MattK_UK

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

Hey, it's an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650

There's a string of numbers on a little white sticker with one of those square barcodes on it, which I presume is the MPN? It's

38BD3VB0080 - C3A
BD3V8081603067

(at least, that's how it appears on the sticker, not sure if the "C3A" is part of the string of characters following it, or not)

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

If you do a search in Google for 38BD3VB0080, there are a couple on ebay, just email the sellers to see if they are still available. There are other options that pop up as well. Everything I see is in Europe so I assume that its a Toshiba model that was only in that market.

The parts are all used as they are long out of production (unless some vendor finds old stock). As I stated, I replaced a motherboard with a faulty video chip with a used one and so far its a year running and running strong. (It was one of the HP's that had the faulty NVidia chips in it.)

Looks like the average price is about 70 GBP.

If this doesn't help, let me know and let me know what the problem with those options are.

MattK_UK

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

Ah brilliant, thanks a lot!

I'll order one from the trusted seller on ebay, hopefully it'll all work out ok!

I'll give you a buzz if everything starts catching fire