Hp g60 not displaying on external monitor

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
as you can tell from the title i have a hp g60 and the monitor is dead, i was thinking of turning it headless and setting it up as a desktop, but when i plug it in to a monitor nothing happens at all it just stays blank it, not sure what to do any help is nice :)

i've tried the fn+f4 thing but i'm not sure it works until the computer is actually in windows

nevermind its fine now

Hi :)

The Function key for graphics works from the second you press the power button to start the machine, as long as the EXTERNAL screen is plugged in to the VGA port and powered....

All the best Brett :)

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

well since you're up i was wondering can i completely disconnect the screen and all wires or will there be wires hanging out of it?

Yes you can, but personally I wouldn't...it makes it MUCH too easy to either short something or drop liquids in...

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

Well the hinges are already destroyed (OLDER brothers laptop) you'd think he'd take better care anyhow theres not much space for liquids to fall in other than the fan vent in any case some tape over the tiny holes should do the trick, unless you mean shorting the laptop while removing the screen?

I assumed (maybe wrongly) that you were asking about removing the screen AND the TOP , all together...

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
oh yeah i'm wording things wrong i mean completely headless the screen use to be supported by whatever was behind it, now there is no screen just the plastic thing behind it which i want to remove as well

Thats the TOP or TOP PLASTIC as we call it in the trade....

I still don't think its a great idea but your choice...

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
i'm not sure i understand why, the only difference if any would be the top not being there. I can't describe well without a picture sorry. But simply

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/images/HP-G50-G60-G70/remove-replace-lcd-screen-01.jpg

if you look at this picture the hinge that allows you tilt the top and hold it up is broken i've took out the screen as the back light is dead, is the screen still good? doubt it any how considering the hinge isn't there it shoudn't make any difference right?

Thanks for putting up with me :p

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
ok, what would be a good workaround to going headless? i don't want it just there in the way can i safely disconnect the cables or something?

There is NO SAFE workaround.... do it or not, YOUR choice...