HP Pavilion G6-1024sa - Fan Issue

nexmorbus

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hey folks. I'm an L2 IT Engineer myself but for the life of me can't find a solution to this issue. My laptops fan is at a constant 100%. It's driving me nuts. When I bought it, it was fine, as soon as the warranty expires..? Boom. Fan @ 100% constantly. Now I've managed to narrow down the cause to what can only be a faulty temperature sensor. The laptop itself is not overheating whatsoever, I've tested this by ceasing the fans movement manually for a period of time while idle, it gets warm, almost hot, but no more. There's nothing wrong with the fan itself.

Now the problem is, I'm usually a desktop/server user and I love having full control over the fans, regardless, however I -cannot- find any fan control software for this laptop. I assume this is due to there being no manual fan settings within the BIOS and no manual fan controller, it must be controlled by the temperature sensor only (or possibly tied into the AMD APU's frequency?).

So my question is, is there some way of modifying the BIOS to tie the fanspeed in to -another- temperature sensor on the motherboard (if there's more than one) or to cause it to only spin up when the APU pops heavy usage? I'm not very experienced with modifying BIOS', I've done it twice before but used tools both times, first was a regular BIOS that couldn't recognise 4+ cores, second was an XFX Radeon HD 5770 BIOS that kept using "green energy saving" voltage regulation that was bugged and dropped it so low it crashed.

Any advice would be helpful.

Kind Regards,
Marc

Hi :)

I own a lappy repair company...

Most people want to do precisely the opposite to you...

Because of overheating they WANT to make the fan run at 100% all the time...

Are you POSITIVE its not overheating ?

You did recement the cpu etc ?

All the best Brett :)

nexmorbus

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hi Brett,

Thanks for your reply! Yes I'm positive it's not overheating, I used the normal methods from a thermal imaging camera to an infra-red thermometer.

The temperatures idling with no fan spinning are fairly acceptable. WITH the fan hitting 100% the core of the laptop sits @ 24degrees cel, which is great, except I'm not -doing- anything to warrent that. This can be particularily irritating when trying to watch a movie with my tiny daughter in bed and the noise of the laptop makes it simply unusable for that purpose..

Hmm interesting...

What temps are you seeing in the Bios at idle ?

And DID you recement ?

nexmorbus

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Sorry forgot to mention that, yes I've recemented. I've even tried a silver-based cement!

BIOS registered on average the same 24-26

I am trying to remember a conversation I had with my lappy repair workshop foreman a couple of years ago...

I THINK this came up and I THINK he said the bios chip was actually FAULTY ...as in needed changing (not re-flashing)

I will ring him tomorrow and check... what EXACT model lappy is it ?

nexmorbus

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
The exact model is as in the topic, HP Pavilion G6-1204sa

It's got an AMD Fusion A6-3400m, 6GB DDR3, 15.6". Generic decent laptop really.

OK talked to my lappy workshop guys...

First check there is NOT a setting in Bios that says ALWAYS ON for the fan...

Next download a couple of Laptop fan control programs from the net and see if you CAN slow the fan or not....

IF NEITHER of those works , then its the fan controller chip gone faulty on the motherboard... nothing else , and the ONLY repair option is a NEW motherboard (which will also eventually do the same)

They have come across this once before on a G6 , the customer decided to live with it , even though the noise drove him mad as it was NOT economical to replace the mobo...we would have charged around £300...