Why no sound from TV when connected to laptop ?

CatKIn76

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Hello,

I've got my Zoostorm (windows 7) laptop connected to my Toshiba TV via VGA cable and I also have audio 3.5 jack plugged in but no sound from TV ? Why is this ?
Regards,

Caroline THom

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Why playing something on the laptop, if you unplug the audio cord, does the sound start playing back on the laptop speakers?

Hmmmmm...

I wonder if it is the cable or jack (laptop / TV) that's the problem. Plug in headphones to the laptop and play something. If you hear sound, then the laptop is fine which means it either the cable or the TV's 3.5 audio input jack. Are you sure the TV's audio jack is for input not output?

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
The audio jack on the tv, is it next to the VGA connection? And is it plugged all the way in? Make sure you cannot see any part of the metal of the 3.5 mm end.

CatKIn76

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Headphones work ok with the laptop. The TV's audio jack just shows a pair of headphones so I don't know if it's input or output ... there are other holes but none of them fit the headphone plug. Can't understand what's happening....

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
If it shows head phones, it's an output jack. Look next to the VGA connection, if your tv has a 3.5 mm audio jack, it should be next to it..or at least in the general area

CatKIn76

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Oh gawd so it's just not going to work. The only input near the VGA is a different size, smaller I think and it says SPDIF next to it. There are another two sets of 3 holes available again a smaller size to cable I have. A green, a blue and a red set and another set yellow white and red.

CatKIn76

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Well thankyou you so much larryn. Thanks for a very speedy response and helping me. :) really appreciate it. I'll get the correct lead now. I've got quite a collection on wrong leads now. lol .... thanks again.