Asking about a laptop to see what I want.

Nikolae00

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
I am looking at a laptop and was wondering if I could run say bf3 and record the gameplay or stream it at the same time. I am ordering it off of Xoticpc.com. I have heard really good things about them but some iffy stuff about them. I want to be able to make gameplay videos as well as commentary for them. Here are the specs and the price:

Screen - 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Anti-Glare Screen (1920x1080) (SKU - S1X506)

RAM-12GB - DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (3 SODIMMS) (SKU - S4S434M) "THIS CAN GO TO 16GB"

Processor - 3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3630QM (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache, 45W Max TDP) (SKU – S2R174) "3.4 is for red boost which i will be doing."

Video Card - nVidia GeForce GTX 675MX 4,096MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology [User Upgradeable] (SKU – S5R521)

Harddrive - 256GB Crucial M4 Series Solid State Drive [SSD2 Serial-ATA III] (SKU – S5R062)

OS - Windows 7 Home "not sure about windows 8, it is at same price"

comes to around $1681 in total, Shipping is free.

So will I be able to handle my tasks I would like to do? Something that is here I don't need or that isn't and I do need? Thank you!

One more thing, I was told by one of their employee's that the mSATA drives suck, do they?

game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
i7 Quad, lots of RAM, great GPU - it's got my seal of approval. That should be able to handle your project.

mSATA SSDs are still SSDs - very quick. Not many manufacturers are making them right now so your options are pretty limited - performance-wise, I would go with a Mushkin mSata if they allow you to spec with them. Crucial's drives are definitely the most popular from most laptop distributors due to their cost and availability and they're not a terrible drive, their write speeds are just a tad on the sluggish side.