Replaced screen for asus eee 1005 peb now windows won't start up

mthurin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I installed the new screen, after my old one was cracked. When I turn it on, the screen looks great, it will let me boot up using express gate but the os ,Windows 7 starter, no longer wants to work except in safe mode. It keeps wanted to do repairs, but it never solves the problem. Not sure what to do. I have an Asus eee pc 1005 ped, got the replacement screen specifically for it. Windows worked fine with the old screen, just the screen was replaced.

Perseph

Honorable
May 31, 2013

I had same problem and tried above solution. I think I uninstalled the drivers but Ican still only open in safe mode and downloading the drivers is impossible in safe mode. ( so it tells me) what am I doing wrong?

Perseph

Honorable
May 31, 2013

It helped somewhat, but now I have found out what the computer doesn't like, it is the "video controller"(aka unknown device, according to windows troubleshooting. If the "unknown device" is enabled, the computer goes straight to the "something is wrong" screen upon startup and wants me to launch, " startup repair" which does nothing. The only way to get the computer to run is to startup in safe mode (per your suggestion, thanks!) then disable the "unknown device". Once the computer is restarted it has no problems except the screen characters and icons have a weird stretched out quality that wasn't present before. The computer enables the, "unknown device" and installs the "missing driver" but then the whole problem begins again upon reboot. If I don't go in and manually disable the "unknown device" before I turn the computer off, the computer can't open thenext time I start up and I have to open it in safe mode again and disable the device and restart the computer before I can use it.

what in the world is going on here and why can't I fix it!? I'm suspecting that my new screen which is not the factory version but a generic model might be the problem. Or something I read about the devices not really being configured properly? I'm out of my league here, what do I do next?

Perseph

Honorable
May 31, 2013

Yes, I downloaded the driver (I think it's the right one, I got it from the ASUS website) and I opened in safe mode with networking and installed it. Then upon reboot it could not startup properly and wants to go into repair mode. Then i have to boot up in safe mode networking again and go to device manager and turn off the "unknown device", which I assume is the video card. It hates the driver!

Right click the Unknown Device and go to Properties then click on the Details tab. Scroll to HardwareIDs and note the four characters that follow VEN (for Vendor) and the four following DEV (for Device).

Go to http://www.pcidatabase.com and input those characters in the two relevant boxes and follow the trail to the right driver. When you find the list of the Vendor's drivers, they aren't in order so use your browser's Find facility to track the Device details. With luck you'll have an executable file but some will be a zipped folder - if that happens unzip it in your other computer then transfer with a flash drive..

TRENDING THREADS