How to find out my Windows serial number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hi everyone,

I have recently bought the Asus UX32A. It's great, however something happened that I did not expect. It didn't come with any driver or windows installation disks. Neither did it come with any form of Microsoft OEM sticker on the laptop. What it DOES come with is a recovery partition, which Asus says in its manual to use if you wish to recover the laptop to factory settings. After some research, apparently this is natural, and is the way of things nowadays. Is there a way to find out the Windows serial number if I ever come to a point of wanting to re-install fresh Windows without having a buy a new copy?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
The use of produkey (and similar tools) is not a hack, crack, etc. It simply provides the key used on a machine. Since you need admin access to install it, it should be assumed the person is rightfully using the system.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

That gives a product ID, not the product key, which is what I'm after.

yoji

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

If you use the system recovery partion.. you dont need the windows key.. it will be built into the recovery build automatically.

There are ways to get the key.. but not sure I should say how.. prob against toms rules.

Cheers

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

First of all, that doesn't answer the question. Second of all, since I bought this laptop and the license for Windows 7 that it runs on, I have the right to know it. Simply only ever using the partition assumes I want all the bloatware crap included with the laptop when I do a fresh install.

yoji

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

The key part of my answer was "There are ways to get the key.. but not sure I should say how.. prob against toms rules."

So it was not that I didnt understand the question.. I chose not to answer with full details.
Tom rules say we should not help people get past security...so I didnt.
Licence rules from MS state that the cert must be attached to the machine...so where is yours? if you bought new.. call ASUS and ask them where the sticker is.. then you have your answer.... or perhaps no sticker means its not new? and has been removed by prev owner... or even the providence of the machine is questionable.
We dont know... but we have Toms rules to guide us.
I gave you a clue.. (your welcome.. dont mention it!!).

Cheers.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Why is anybody providing guidance to product key extraction?

What if scenario: How do we know that this person will not go to someone elses PC and use the "extractor" to get a "free product key.

Not stating this is the case, it is just that Tom's asks that no such info is provided in ALL situations. Yes some honest people will be caught short by this set of rules, ALL dishonest people will be shown the door as a result.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The use of produkey (and similar tools) is not a hack, crack, etc. It simply provides the key used on a machine. Since you need admin access to install it, it should be assumed the person is rightfully using the system.

Solution

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

And I am one of those people. I have no idea why I can't see a product key sticker on the unit, research on other forums has suggested that Asus actually put it on the inside, around where the battery sits. For what it's worth, I got this off Amazon new, everything was sealed. You only have my word as I have no evidence of the sealed nature of the package, and I do not want to provide a screen shot of the Amazon order as I don't want to divulge such information.

If I had any idea that asking for this would be so troublesome as to earn me the remarks below then I genuinely wouldn't have bothered.

Those remarks have just earned you a report to the moderators.

Thank you for your help.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

I have edited out the insulting parts of your message.
There is no need for that kind of behavior.
Please refrain from making such remarks towards another user again.

yoji

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Thanks... but it was so much better/more appropriate before :(

but at least the OP quoted the best bits.. :)

Cheers

dflskg

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

The sticker should be on the brick of the power adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.