Best all purpose laptop/brand help!

skg94

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I know this must be asked a lot but after some researching (this site and others) i still cant really determine, especially since all the threads ive found are for all out gaming laptop or are older threads.

So what im looking for is a laptop that has a gaming advantage, but also has moderate entertainment and schooling. All i really need is good speed, microsoft products and play movies/stream shows etc, nothing fancy no video editing or anything. Just use of vlc/media player, word, powerpoint and such, and good internet use. But i would like to be able to play games, games like cod or something doesnt need excellent specifications.

Price range is about 1500 or less. Hopefully reasonably priced of course.

No macs.

Also for brands, which would be best, forums and such tend to be divided, With top choices being Lenovo, Asus and Dell

dgriffs

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Sager notebooks are high value/performance notebooks with no frills. Asus also has many nice options. Lenovos aren't too bad either. A lot of it comes down to personal preference. $1500 is enough to get a very decent notebook. If you're looking at game I would pay attention to the graphics card if there is one. Look up some reviews. Nowadays many laptops just process graphics through the cpu which isn't the best for gaming but will be sufficient if you're obsessed with graphics. You could always checkout alienware. They are a little more expensive and are too flashy for my own taste but they are gaming oriented.

dgriffs

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Are you looking for suggestions on specific models or just general advice about laptops in general? I'm sure people would be able to provide recommendations if you give some more information like what size you want the laptop to be. The asus g series may be something to look at. Gaming specific laptops will have a dedicated graphics card and will be designed for better airflow.

skg94

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I was hoping to get a little bit of both. Brand than series where i can pick the one i like best. Makes me sound needy and stupid, but research is all i can do, and all ive been able to learn is:

i7-3630Qm processor is most likely the most preferred.
Video cards are all over the place i dont know anything about them, which is better, is it a general rule of thumb higher the number better the card?
And for ram and memory i can do that myself. Im thinking at least 8GB, i can also upgrade of course easy to do.

skg94

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
hm thank you for that, well i think i got a better understand of the video card i would need since im not playing any intense games or anything i wouldnt really need the top class cards.

Back to brands