Is it possible to upgrade lenovo y580 GPU?

Dockotis

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Hello, I just recently bought this laptop about 2 months ago and it is actually pretty good! I'm able to do a lot and play a lot of different games no problems. My question is simple however...

Is it possible to upgrade the GPU of this laptop to something better than the GTX 660M?

After being on here, I found out I could upgrade the RAM past 8gb, and now I am looking at upgrading the GPU...

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Most laptops have processors and GPU's soldered to the motherboard. So you will most likely not be able to replace it. Very few have replaceable parts, and those that do usually advertise the ability and cost a ton more. RAM and Hard Drive/SSD is about all you can ever expect to upgrade in a laptop, and in some cases even those are becoming more permanent/proprietary.

k1114

Distinguished
Laptop cpus are usually not soldered however the gpus usually are(as is the case with the y580). Ram and hdd being permanent/proprietary? Only on a very few ultrabooks will the ssd be a proprietary form factor because of the thin form factor. But not ram. Can you even show one that is permanent?

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
y580 has a soldered gpu so you will not be able to upgrade it.

If you really want more performance out of it, you can try overclocking your gpu.

650/660 overclocks really well and does not produce much heat (temps stay the same).

You should easily be able to reach the maxmum oc under MSI afterburner (there is no point overclocking vram on the 660m)

Nope.

Only specific gaming laptop models that costs at the very least $1,500+ can potentially allow you to replace the graphic card. You need to do research though 'cause even a $2,200 gaming laptop may not have that capability.

Lastly, laptop graphic cards are hard to find and very expensive because they are generally only sold to system builders. In other words..... ebay...

Gundy

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Even if you could, you probably shouldn't. Laptops are designed to handle the thermal load of their very specific components. Replacing stuff or aggressively overclocking runs the risk of throwing off that sometimes-delicate balance. Now, I'm not saying don't ever overclock you laptop, but do it slowly and deliberately, testing every step of the way. It's much easier to damage and much harder to repair than a desktop.

13bcliff

Honorable
May 3, 2013

u do relize that the gtx660m in removeable right .....look on ebay gt means soldered an the gtx means removeable im pretty shure...

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

No its not removable.

Asus_USA

Honorable
May 1, 2013
It might be possible on some laptops, especially high-end gaming units. However, the GPUs are generally soldered onto the board, and not upgradable.

For example, you can technically remove the GTX660M graphics card in our G75VW gaming units. However, it will only fit in another G75 unit. Companies do not make 'universal" fit cards for laptops.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

generally yes, the exception is the MXM module which the y580 does not have.

laptop gamer

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
the lenovo y580 has two
graphics card nvidia geforce gtx 660m and intel hd 4000 you cant upgrade your graphics card if you try the laptop can be damage you have a nvidia geforce gtx 660m you can play any game in high setting

systemBuilder_49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

The GTX 660M in the Lenovo Y580 is pretty good (we have one of these laptops with the i7-3630QM) ~ it plays Skyrim at 60fps in FullHD - that's pretty great! About the only game you'd have problems with are Metro:Last Light, perhaps only 20 fps.

The reason you cannot often upgrade the GPU is because the GPU actually requires the largest amount of cooling and the entire cooling system would need to be replaced. If it were something as simple as opening the laptop and popping in a new GPU then it would be a different matter. A new GPU would require a much larger heat pipe, a larger fan, i.e. brain surgery, and I think NVidia doesn't use the same pinout on purpose (they sell more chips that way ...)

In the late 1990's Dell sold the Inspiron 7000 with the GPU on a daughtercard but since that time, the GPUs have become far more power-hungry than the CPUs themselves, generally. Lenovo offered a later version of the Y580 called the Y500 / Y510 which accepted a second GPU on a DVD cassette which included its own fan and liquid cooler, allow SLI 3D graphics, but that was the only time I ever heard of a laptop allowing any sort of GPU upgrade in this decade.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ultrabay-Removable-Graphics-IdeaPad/dp/B00JBFYET8