Hp pavilion dv6 no power help

adzuk86

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Hello,
i have a hp pavilion dv6920ea it was working fine then the other day i went to turn it on and the fan spun like crazy really loud. so i turned it of quick and now when i try turning it on i dont get anything. i plug the charger in and the light comes on around the charger to show its getting power but laptop does nothing. the only thing i have noticed is the screen flickers its a pulse thats in time with the fan. so i took the power bar of to see the fan and its just twitching at the same time the screen is flickering its about every second. this only happens when the power is pluged in other wise it doesent do anything. any body got any ideas please?

flank2

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
sounds like you gpu went. try and connecting it to a monitor and see if you get the same thing or not.

It's difficult to troubleshoot if it won't even turn on.

Nor is it easy to swap parts.

It sounds like something on the motherboard failed. Sorry. If it's not under Warranty and it's at least a few years old it's probably not worth fixing as you can buy a half decent laptop now for $400 new.

Most repair shops will charge you $100 just to look at your laptop and that doesn't include parts.

Assuming it's not repairable, I recommend that you KEEP your hard drive to recover files and then use as an external drive. You can buy a Vantec 2.5" case at NCIX for little money (got one for $8 on sale or $20 new).

Feel free to get a second or third opinion though.

Also a good idea.
If this actually works then it just means your SCREEN has a defective component, however nothing that fails there should cause your fan to spin up.