It's time for a PC..

jugzor

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Up until about 3 or 4 years ago, I had never really owned a laptop. I've always just had desktop PCs that I build myself at home. However, I ended up having to be on the move a lot about 3 or 4 years ago, and somebody gifted me a Macbook Pro. Having a laptop was convenient, but I'm already at the point where I'm frustrated with my Macbook. So I'm looking for a PC Laptop now.

I need a laptop that's fully upgradeable.. or as fully upgradeable as laptops can be (i'm not very knowledgable when it comes to laptops). I want to be able to change the GPU or CPU when I need to. I do want to be able to game on it, as I'm a huge gamer. I'd like the laptop to have a 1920 x 1080 LED Display. I'd like it to have like a 500GB SSD (if it's less it's okay), and i7 Processor, and maybe like a GTX 660. 8 to 16GB of RAM.

A couple of features I'd like to keep from the Macbook are the weight and trackpad. The Macbook doesn't weigh too much and the trackpad is very easy to use for when I'm on the move and not gaming. If I could get a laptop that doesn't way too much more than its Macbook counterpart, and that has a trackpad that works and feels similarly to a Macbook trackpad, I'd be very happy. I also love that the Macbook is slim, simple, and attractive - those would be optional bonuses.

Basically, I need something that I can upgrade myself and can game on with high settings. However, I need it to be easy to use for when I'm on the move.

I appreciate the help. THANK YOU! :love:

morgoth780

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
You can't really upgrade the CPU or GPU in any laptop, since the CPU is soldered to the motherboard, and I think the GPU as well. All you'll really be able to upgrade is RAM, hard drive, and display.

stickmansam

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
You might to look into the ASUS ROG 17inch series
They have 1080p screens, very good cooling for laptops, up gradable processor and gpu (within limits)
Unfortunately they weigh in at about 4 icnhes and the 15inch model is not too much lighter

If you want something light you will have to get an ultrabook (which are not upgradable (gpu wise)

You can also get an APU from AMD which will be cheap and light and potentially upgradable (within limits again)