I cannot instal xp on toshiba satalite m55 s139

Necrasyn

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
I was gifted a used Toshiba minus the Hd. Ive installed proper working memory (tested). I have attempted to install Win Xp Pro several times, on different Hd's, with different Xp cd's. It completes loading the initial drivers right up to "Windows is starting uo" then just goes walking dead on me. CD drive stops, hard drive spins down and cooling fan stops. The screen remains on the "windows is starting" screen. Its bloody well got me stumped. Help before i have to verify its molecular stability with my boot.!

ratedk

Distinguished
If your getting any missing files, or cannot find files while loading the OS, I'd guess it's the CD drive. If not, CD is probably OK and the motherboard sata/IDE controller may be bad.

If you can load XP onto another computer with one of the same HDD's, you can pull it after the first reboot and insert it into the Toshiba that's giving you problems, it will pick up where it left off and finish installation. If that doesn't do it, assume it's the MoBo.

Before you verify the molecular stability, try this page to release some frustration:
http://stressreliefpig.com/games/aggressive/destroy-the-computer.html

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
That would be true to a point, Ratedk.
But by the time it gets to windows is starting and loads into windows nothing would work right as the chipset, of the other board would be detected and some of the drivers would be installed for them.
Windows has to be installed on the current device to avoid driver problems, or confict may arise.Putting you back to square one. Freezing or a black screen.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
The best advice here is to see if the laptop loads into windows xp via safe mode.
You can do this on power up by pressing the F8 key before windows loads.
No extra third party drivers are loaded you see,just the ones windows installs on it`s setup and install of the Os.

If it loads you can determine if it is due to a lack of a driver, or a wrong driver causing the lock up.
Make sure you have all the drivers for the laptop from the manufactures website first if you do not have them.
Sometimes you can install some drivers in safe mode, once done restart the pc in normal windows mode. I suspect it is because a bit of hardware is not responding, and the correct driver needs to be installed. It can sometimes sort the catch 22 problem out.
If you can try this, and if you have no joy then post back.

Also detail the exact Toshiba model number of the laptop, as it will help to see if you need to do something before trying to install windows xp. that we can check Necrasyn.

All the best.

ratedk

Distinguished

Once XP has transferred information from the disc to the HDD, it doesn't start loading hardware specific drivers (i.e. chipset, video, etc..) until after the install process requires its first reboot (and the disc is removed). At that point, you can transplant the HDD to another machine and safely finish the XP installation.

Back in the day when the everybody realized they didn't want Vista and rolled back to XP, I kept transplant-able HDDs, just like I described, handy just to speed up the install.

If you let it go all the way though to the final 'windows is starting' step in the first machine then your right, it wouldn't work without some major surgery.

I don't think Necrasyn can access safe mode if the install isn't completing that final step.

TRENDING THREADS