Too Many Processes At Startup

thegraves29

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I am trying to reduce the amount of processes my Dell Latitude E5400 has at startup. The CPU runs at about 20% with 63 processes running. Which programs can I uncheck from the startup tab under msconfig to have better performance from my laptop? I took some screenshots of both my processes running and startup programs.

Processes:

2r7obrk.jpg

Startup Programs:

5lxiz7.jpg

noidea_77

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
You can uncheck what ever you want, but will not get any performance. Where did you get the 20% from? I see 4% in the screenshot and 2% of that is the task manager.

bdiddytampa

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
It's got to be something else, you aren't even using a GB of your memory. You say your computer is running slow? What are your specs?

thegraves29

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

Ah, meant to add that tidbit, when I let the laptop just sit (don't move the mouse or be active at all) it's 4%, when I'm active (moving the mouse and actually doing things it's roughly around 14-20%). I just thought 63 processes was alot, just an assumption, wanted to stop programs I don't need from opening at startup. I got this laptop used so trying my best in doing everything to give it that out of the box feeling/speeds (already used a tuneup utility).

thegraves29

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

Here are my specs: (Info from both system properties & help and support computer information)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53 GHz (Centrino 2) (Intel 45 Express Chipset)
2.47 GHz Processor Speed
4096 MB Ram
783 MHz, 3.49 GB of RAM
Windows XP Professional SP3

Now that you mention it, when I got the laptop I presses restore default under indexing options so maybe the laptop is still indexing? I did that two days ago.
Idk I just feel the laptop is a little sluggish, might be because I'm use to faster response and load times from newer computers...

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

The simplest way would be wiping it clean and reinstalling windows. If you only have a recovery disc, use that and then look up pc decrapifyer. It'll go a long way towards making that laptop hum.

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Your processes don't seem to be affecting the Processor but the Chrome processes seem to be taking up some 374MB of System Memory, which I'd estimate is around 20% of your installed RAM supposing you still have 2GB installed(?). The Dell applications increase that up to 22%. The startup in Msconfig shows a bunch of Dell processes that shouldn't be running in the startup. Most applications that include themselves in the startup dont really need to be there, they will work the same if they are not. The antivirus process is the only one that should be running in the Startup tab, so my suggestion is to disable all processes leaving only the Antivirus, restart the computer and enable only those that become necessary when you restart.. probably none.

Other tweaks you shoul do is delete the temp files, log files, and other unnecessary leftovers... install CCleaner and see in the Windows, Programs and Registry tabs to uncheck what you need, and check what you don't need before scanning your system and cleaning it from files, settings, and obsolete data that's contributing to slowdown your system. After this, see in Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance.... and uncheck the visual effects settings you don't need that take up system memory.

All the visual effects I have checked are:
Common tasks,
Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop,
Smooth edges of screen fonts,
Show shadows under mouse pointer,

And judging from your shots you seem to have the Classical Windows Theme?, so you'd probably like to disable the "Common tasks in folders" setting... to disable it, leave it marked on System\Advanced\Visual Effects Settings... and disable common tasks from; Explorer \ Tools menu \ Folder Options \ File Types \ select "(NONE)Folder" \ Click Advanced \ Select Explore \ and click on Set Default > press OK \ and Close. And if you'd like a light theme that helps speed up Windows XP somewhat, try the Windows Millennium theme for Windows XP.

To take care of any other hidden processes, install Autoruns, or A Squared Hijack Free.

thegraves29

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

This is exactly the type of reply I was looking for, very very helpful! Kudos!

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Right!.. HijackThis also does a good job in identifying and removing hidden processes. And better even for cleaning the Registry and zipping up Windows better than CCleaner is Tune Up Utilities (full use for a free evaluation period).

thegraves29

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Thanks Wisecracker, I will give HijackThis a try.

Edit: Installed HijackThis version 2.0.4, here is my log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 9:24:20 AM, on 2/2/2013
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\Program Files\Fingerprint Sensor\AtService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
c:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\S24EvMon.exe
C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
c:\drivers\audio\r213367\stacsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell ControlPoint\Connection Manager\SMManager.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell ControlPoint\DCPButtonSvc.exe
c:\Program Files\Dell\Dell ControlPoint\System Manager\DCPSysMgrSvc.exe
c:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\IAANTMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\RegSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SeaPort\SeaPort.exe
C:\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Trusted Drive Manager\TdmService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BtTray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\WIDCOMM\BLUETO~1\BTSTAC~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell ControlPoint\Connection Manager\Dell.UCM.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDLL32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Kiya\My Documents\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://g.msn.com/USREL/23
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.bing.com/sphome.aspx
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.bing.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://g.msn.com/USREL/23
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=gen
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=gen
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.bing.com/sphome.aspx
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Page_URL = http://g.msn.com/USREL/23
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Search Helper - {6EBF7485-159F-4bff-A14F-B9E3AAC4465B} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Search Helper\SearchHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {E15A8DC0-8516-42A1-81EA-DC94EC1ACF10} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Windows Live Toolbar - {21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast] "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DellConnectionManager] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell ControlPoint\Connection Manager\Dell.UCM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send To Bluetooth - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-12650 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.dell.com
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1359611314218
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: AuthenTec Fingerprint Service (ATService) - AuthenTec, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Fingerprint Sensor\AtService.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: Dell ControlPoint Button Service (buttonsvc32) - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell ControlPoint\DCPButtonSvc.exe
O23 - Service: COMODO System Utilities Service (CSUService) - Comodo Security Solutions, Inc. - C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO System Utilities\CSUService.exe
O23 - Service: Dell ControlPoint System Manager (dcpsysmgrsvc) - Dell Inc. - c:\Program Files\Dell\Dell ControlPoint\System Manager\DCPSysMgrSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel(R) Corporation - c:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMON) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\IAANTMon.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel(R) Corporation - c:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: SecureStorageService - Wave Systems Corp. - C:\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Secure Storage Manager\SecureStorageService.exe
O23 - Service: Smith Micro Connection Manager Service (SMManager) - Smith Micro Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell ControlPoint\Connection Manager\SMManager.exe
O23 - Service: Audio Service (STacSV) - IDT, Inc. - c:\drivers\audio\r213367\stacsv.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - c:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: NTRU TSS v1.2.1.29 TCS (tcsd_win32.exe) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NTRU Cryptosystems\NTRU TCG Software Stack\bin\tcsd_win32.exe
O23 - Service: TdmService - Wave Systems Corp. - C:\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Trusted Drive Manager\TdmService.exe

--
End of file - 9098 bytes

See anything out of the usual?

thegraves29

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

Forgive the double post but I did a hijackthis scan, what exactly do I do with this log? My log, if you didn't notice, is in the post above. I copied and pasted the log into this site:
www.hijackthis.de/#anl

Everything looked ok but how do I go about reducing hidden processes if need be?

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

Hidden Process doesn't necessarily mean malicious, only that they are not viewable in the taskmanager.. for example you have some 60 processes in the Taskmanager and some 90 appear in the HijackThis log.. that difference are hidden processes of which you don't seem to have malicious ones, but just the same they shouldn't be running because they take up system resources; either keep the processor busy or they take up system memory.

What you need to do is remove most of the processes in the log. For example, I have 30 processes running in my Windows XP and I would ideally have some 22-24 but I have some apps I need in the startup. Windows 7 may have more (I havent checked the normal number in W7).. but I can tell most of your's are not Windows 7 processes. You have some 90 probably because you haven't watched how you install programs. Most programs offer quick installation and custom installation, in the quick option they install all the toolbars and unrelated programs they may include, and in the custom installation you can decide if you want to install only the program you downloaded or to include toolbars and included garbage. Besides this, some programs have the option to install a shortcut to autorun in the startup so you have to watch and read the installation of each and every program you install.

Which of the 50-60 extra processes you should remove depends on you. Many of those are unnecessary programs that come included with the device drivers you have installed but most of those programs serve no purpose in the startup... so you have to make an evaluation of which you need and which you don't, and remove them from the startup. So make a list of the startup programs, google for the .exe file in each program and remove them according to the information you find.

thegraves29

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

Once again thank you, I've gotten better at watching what I install but there's always room for improve. I think I'll go ahead and start looking into what processes I don't need!