Gaming & Virtual Machine hosting Laptop suggestions

staggerlee011

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hi all,

Im looking to buy a new laptop that will be used both for gaming (specifically guild wars 2) and running multiple virtual machines on (Win 8 Hyper-V). I would ideally like 2 hhds in it and 16gb of ram. It looks like most prebuilt machines go crazy on pricing for ram and installed hhd so I would properly like one that has these options but not installed. So i can buy them separately for cheaper!

Summary:

Decent spec CPU (3rd gen i7)
ability to go 8-16gb ram
GPU
2 hdd bays
size im not to bothered on..
weight.. as light as possible but im sure this is one i will have to ignore and just go with what ever comes.
prefereable wont run to hot.. (My old work laptop after running a few hours would start to get to hot to leave on my lap)

The only ones i know that fit these build at present is the Alienware kit.. but i think this runs rather pricey just to have the alienware name stuck on it..

staggerlee011

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
updated to follow the buyers guide.

1. What is your budget?

1k-1.5k

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Id like it to be portable.. so was looking at 14-15 inch..

3. What screen resolution do you want?

As high as possible , im not really in the know for whats possible, and what the differences would do..

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I want to play Guild Wars 2.. hoping for med-high

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Running virutal machines and do some dev work.. (good CPU, and memory)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

I would like a SSD for the C drive. It will only hold the game (currently asks for 20gb) office, and so on.. ideally 180 or so.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

currently only looked on alienware as they are the only gaming laptops i know off really!

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2 years -/+

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD but not not really needed USB 3 port will do me more use.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

not really bothered with brands just specs

13. What country do you live in?

UK

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Hoping for dual bay HHD (though does anyone the speeds possible for external SSD with usb 3?) 8-16gb of ram.. GPU to help play games etc, preferable to keep cool.. and light if possible!