HP Laptop shuts down before loading windows

powerstarprince

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Hello, Well recently this happened to me twice so i have posted here to receive some help regarding it.
What actually happened was when i turned on my laptop ( plugged in ) , when it's about to load windows the black screen flashes a bit and then the laptop shuts down on itself. When i turn on again immediately it loaded as intended and normal.

2 days later this time it was not plugged in, the same thing happened. I haven't observed if the hp logo is seen but surely it shuts off before loading windows and trying to login.

What might be the issue?? also error checking showed there are no errors with c: drive.

PS : I'm using windows 8 pro

Solution

Hi :)

I have owned computer and repair shops for more years than you have been alive...lol

You can take my advice or leave it... but i am not changing it...

All the best Brett :)

powerstarprince

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
why does my laptop sometimes shutdown before booting into windows?? It's hp laptop and few times the hp logo also doesn't appear when this happens, screen goes blank and wifi light turns red before it shuts down.

powerstarprince

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
hope this helps me, i disabled the hybrid boot in windows 8 but i felt like hvin it back again. so i created a full shutdown shortcut that i would use every night before sleep.

no errors found on my hard disk using windows disk cleaner and auslogics disk doctor.
auslogics found few and repaired them, but the problem happened again.
hirens cd test never heard of it and checking it seems like huge and complicated.

powerstarprince

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Hi Brett, if u read probably u'll know.. or may be i'm not clear. I have been using this laptop for more than a month. Everything seems to be fine except that in all these 40+ days of usage, there were 4 or 5 times that the notebook couldn't boot into windows and shutdown itself on its own upon fresh start.

All this while i had been using windows 8 with hybrid boot enabled. I predict any services loading issue or software sided that made the notebook shutdown itself upon boot before loading into windows.

It happened rarely though, and it's not a good sign. When it did happen and shut down itself, i pressed power button again and it started just fine.

Right now everything's cool but i don't wanna see my laptop do this again in future because it's bad and not a normal condition. For the moment i have decided to do a full shutdown atleast once everday to see whether it's because of the hibernated fast boot. I also have the option to disable that feature but since it's interesting to keep windows 8 for its amazing boot times, i'm sure would leave it default.

If Auslogic found and repaired BAD SECTORS..... YOUR HARD DRIVE WILL FAIL VERY SOON...

I cannot make it any plainer than that...

When people ask me in my Computer shops, how long will a failing hard drive last ?

My answer is always the same.... maybe 6 months or maybe 6 MINUTES !

powerstarprince

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Hi Brett, well auslogics didn't find or repair my bad sectors. I don't have any bad sectors i suppose. I only made it perform scan and fix.. so all it did was a chkdsk and repaired errors. It's not the deep scan and fix which repairs bad sectors.
And after it fixed errors , whenever i scan drives it always said no errors found.

PS: It repaired errors in C: drive where windows is located.

Run a HIRENS CD , FULL hard drive test then... if it passes that its fine...if it fails that...drop in bin time...

powerstarprince

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Brett, i'm not sure what and how hirens cd test is possible for me. I have a built-in bios hp uefi environment which can perform system diagnostics. It has the extended hard drive test option, takes around 2 hours time. I performed the quick test and it passed, will require 2 hours of free time of me when i can get along with the long test.
But the thing is many other ppl had done the extended test with passed result even though they had few shutdown or start up problems.

I have owned computer and repair shops for more years than you have been alive...lol

You can take my advice or leave it... but i am not changing it...

Solution

You BOOT from it (don't go into Windows) and have a look around on the CD, its very interesting and you will find lots of different types of tests including the LONG hard drive test...

powerstarprince

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Ok, i'm almost done with the download and gonna create bootable dvd. The one i got is the 15.2 version rebuild all in one. The iso file size is of 690 MB. I think few extra tools have been added to the latest 15.2 which comes to 595 MB of size.

Brett, there are many hard disk tools and testing utilities.. and i'm not sure which one would help me. I don't think using all of them is a good idea, and also they are advanced tools and running a couple of them might also create problems.

You told me to run the full hard drive test, can u tell me which one it is? So, if my hard drive passes the hiren's test i don't need to worry abt it. I also read that one of the tests shows the expected life of hard drive in the end which can be very informative and helpful.

powerstarprince

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Okay i finally finished burning the rebuild version of hirens cd 15.2 into a bootable dvd and i tried using it on my other hp laptop.

I could see that this one has less no. of dos tools than mentioned in the main 15.2 cd.
Under testing tools there's only memtest86+
Then under hard disk tools only these are available..
Hard Disk Tools
+ Partition Table Doctor 3.5
+ Ontrack Disk Manager 9.57
+ HDD Regenerator 2011
+ HDAT2 4.53
+ MHDD 4.6

In these i got to check about hdat2 4.53 and mhdd 4.6 in google as being good tools but they are quite old, no new version of mhdd released but latest one of hdat2 is 4.93.

In my other laptop i tried using hdat2 4.53 and it opened up but when i pressed down arrow key to hover the selection on hard disk.. it says working.. in the bottom bar, then i also saw these written in green- !security frozen and !Smart warning. The time on the top right stopped and was the same even after 15 mins.. the fan kept running loud and i know that the hp laptop heats up a lot, so all i did was shut it down using power button and changed back boot order to hard drive.

I need you to tell me which test is the extended hard drive test which i need to perform. Should i go with hdat2 or mhdd in my own laptop? or is there anything i can do?. C'mon i just want to know that my hard drive isn't dying though it's properly working.

powerstarprince

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
I tried doing some tests for my hdd. the first one i went for was the mhdd 4.6 but unfortunately it couldn't detect my drive. It showed me 3 ports named primary, secondary and pc-3000 board numbered 1,3,5 respectively. The name of my hard drive toshiba mq01abd050 isn't seen inside the brackets, so all i did was exit and came out of application.

Next i tried hdd regenerator 2011, i selected the prescan by pressing 1, then it took about 2 hours to complete and results showed everything to be 0 i.e no bad sectors and errors.

Should i also try hdat2 4.53? I should first see if it detects my drive and then in drive level options which one should i select? It has -
1)check and repair bad sectors
2)check bad sectors only
3)read and repair bad sectors
4)read bad sectors
etc

which one is the thing that does just the testing?i'll try this one and finally see if my hard drive is enough to work well.

powerstarprince

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Ok.. now the same thing which i had been thinking has happened. I could not open hdat2 , when i ran the tool.. while detecting pci devices.. it gave me a runtime 217 error. After this i tried to run mhdd again.. it couldn't show my hard drive. Couple of tries and i could exit from it. Once again i ran hdat2 and this time.. directly it mentioned no devices found to test.

So, the conclusion is .. from hiren's cd, i could not run hdat2 and mhdd tests since they couldn't detect my hard drive. I ran the hdd regenerator and performed prescan, took me around 2 hours to finish.. and the results were found no bad sectors. All the numbers it displayed were 0.. meaning no bad sectors, no delays.