Looking to upgrade a laptop Samsung NP-R60Y

adampd

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Hi all

I'm asking on behalf of a friend

He has a Samsung R60Y (NP-R60Y), which has 1gb of ram, with Vista

The max memory is 4gb, so we've ordered 2X4Gb of Kingston memory.

But the CPU could do with an upgrade, as it's a lowly Celeron processor

According to the spec from Samsung, the machine is capable of supporting the following:

Intel Celeron M, Pentium Dual Core, Intel Core Duo/Solo and Intel Core 2 Duo processors

Obviously it'd be nice to upgrade the processor to a Core 2 Duo, but I'm unsure just what speed we can upgrade it to?

The motherboard chipset, according to the spec, is an ATI RS600ME (RD600) + SB600

Is there anywhere I can find out the max cpu this laptop/board can hold?

hytecgowthaman

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Upgrading this laptop is waste of money. Disadvantages of branded system: Branded systems only give 1year warenty,Assembled system give 3years warenty (2year extra warenty compare to branded).
branded systems give limits for users examples: 1:limited sata ports ,2:low space for extra hdds ,3:upgrade processor also not supported (many processors) because of branded system bios. 4:upgrading gpu also not supported (many gpus )because of branded systems psu and bios limitations. 5:if u r linux user don't spend money for ms os and softwares. etc.....

adampd

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
I Wasn't asking for anyone's opinion on if it's a waste of money or not, I'm asking if there are CPU upgrade options available.

adampd

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009

Sadly, there was very little in the way of information on Samsung's site
I was hoping someone here might have upgrade experience with this model/make heh.