Two laptops - One with a good CPU the other with a GPU. How to change?

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
I have two laptops.

Laptop 1: Asus M51S 15.4" Screen

CPU: Duo T555 1.83 GHz
RAM: 3GB
GPU: Nvidia Gefore 9500M GS
HD: 250GB Standard 5400RPM
Windows XP

Laptop 2:
Toshiba Toshiba satellite p775 17.3" Screen

CPU: I7-2670QM 2.20GHz
RAM: 6 GB
No GPU
HD: Toshiba MK7575GSX 750GB 5400RPM

The second computer is way better than the first, but I have to use the integrated I7 graphics to game. Which actually works fairly well. I can play Skyrim on low without too many problems.

However, would taking the GPU out of the first laptop and putting it in the second one improve anything? Or are the I7 integrated graphics on par with what the 9500M GS would do?

Thanks

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
There's no way to take the GPU out of the first and add it to the second. That's a trade-off you get with the laptop form factor: portability in exchange for the modularity and ease up upgrade of a traditional desktop.

Most laptops do not feature separate cards nor slots to fit them. Most likely the first laptop's graphics chip is built into its motherboard and the second laptop wouldn't have a slot to fit the card even if it were separate.

There is nothing you can do.

The two laptops do not have the same socket so you can't even "simply" drop in the i7 into laptop #1.

Additionally, you cannot simple de-solder and then solder in the 9500M GS from the old laptop to the new laptop. 1st, there may not be anywhere to solder the chip into. 2nd the BIOS would likely not recognize the graphics chip even if you managed to solder it into the 2nd laptop.

You best option if you want to play games and do work with a single laptop is to buy a laptop capable of doing both. The vast majority of laptops do not allow you to upgrade the graphics card except for a few select models of gaming oriented laptops which starts at $1,500+ and seriously the sky is the limit. Well, there is an actual limit of around $8,000.

If you want a somewhat inexpensive solution, then you need to wait for Intel's Haswell laptops to come out. The integrated Intel HD 5000 graphics core initially looks to have some promising gaming capabilities... for an integrated graphics core coming from Intel.

A pre-production Haswell laptop has been demonstrated running Skyrim at 1920x1080 resolution. No benchmark numbers were displayed and there was no anti-aliasing being used. Regardless it did seem to run smoothly enough to play the game. If that's going to be the "true" performance of the upcoming mobile iGPU from Intel, then it should offer pretty impressive performance at 1366x768 or 1600x900 resolution... again considering it is coming from Intel.

When are Haswell CPUs expected to be released? June...

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

agree mostly, some laptop DO have changeable graphics but yours is not one of them. plus the integrated graphics on the second laptop is much better then that of the old laptops gpu.

best way to combine two laptops when one has a good gpu and the other a good cpu is to buy a whole new laptop with both those components.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
First, the onboard graphics are probably more powerful than a 9500M (because mobile parts are so neutered when compared to their big brothers.)

And like SchizTech said, you can't, even if the graphics card weren't soldered onto the motherboard.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

intel integrated graphics arent neutered! :)