7Gbps Devices Should Ship by 2012 Says WiGig

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Snipergod87[/nom]And the range will be 3 feet?[/citation]
Direct line of sight, maybe. Put a piece of paper in between and I doubt you'll get any reception. Heck, according to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremely_high_frequency, even high-humidity can cause signal degradation.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
According to the wiki link, 60Ghz can be used up to 1.7km. Now obviously that is with a much much higher power output than a consumer product would have and probably with a directional antenna as well, but that does mean it could work for your house if they do it right.

I am skeptical that they will do it right however.

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
It's Infrared, so its line of sight, cables won't be going anywhere this type of technology is going to be severely limited to specialized application's. Site to site wireless links come to mind.

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Direct line of sight, maybe. Put a piece of paper in between and I doubt you'll get any reception. Heck, according to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremely_high_frequency, even high-humidity can cause signal degradation.[/citation]

The article even states that a 60GHz frequency actually has problems with oxygen molecules. And we have a lot of those in our atmosphere.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I wouldn't get too excited quite yet. I think jumping from 54mbps-150mbps (on average) to a whopping 7gbsp in the span of a year is a bit optimistic. There's some fine print they're leaving out.

weatherdude

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I continue to remain skeptical of wireless technology supplanting physical connections. Sure it's come a long way and is remarkably useful but I'm not too certain on how much more data we can pump into space without interference from countless other sources. Data intense applications like HD video signals will always be better with cables because they are reliable and offer more bandwidth.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Nothing makes me feel more like a man than securely plugging in an ethernet cable from my [device] to my switch/router.

Wifi is for an absolute needs must situation in my mind (and women, since they get all moaney at how nasty cables look).

Status
Not open for further replies.