Laptops with Serial port

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkulkarni_1965

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Dear Sir,

We require a laptop or notebook in good working condition having serial port on urgent basis. If you have, please contact on [removed], Mr. Bipin Kulkarni.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
USB to serial ports don't with alot of equipment. I have a toshiba tecra core 2 duo from 2010 with a native serial port.. but it doesn't look like Toshiba make them anymore. My co worker has a new HP elite book and it has a native serial port. Also I've seen new Fujitzu laptops with serial ports.

rlbaskin

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Solution for missing native serial port on newer PCs...
I have had the same issue for years... new laptops don't have native serial ports and the USB to Serial (DB9) converters either don't work or are unstable. I have switched to PCMCIA and ExpressCard serial adapters with 100% success. I have single, double, and quad-port cards (PCMCIA, ExpressCard, PCMCIA, respectively) and since they share native bus architectures, they function exactly like standard COM ports. You can even modify the COM addresses to match required port assignments. I log data from multiple instruments at various baud rates into a singe computer for 10-12 hours a day with zero dropped data. I think all of my adapters are Quatech brand but I suspect that any good manufacturer would work. Make sure you have DB9 gender benders and null modem connections at the ready to complete your connections. It also helps to have some "Y" splitters handy to provide redundant backup or data transfer/feedback between instruments.

Electrical Tech

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014

I have been trying to load a 90's version 10.5 inch Quick Panel with the USB to serial converter and the HIM - CAB -49 interface cable on a Modern computer. Tried all combinations of seetings for baud rate, Parity, stop bits, ETC. It did not work. I had to revive the old lap top with windows 98 on itthat I originally used to install the program back in 1998 so I could do it with that computers serial port. Software works fine on a modern computer but the USB to serial interface does not in this application.

domare

Estimable
Jun 11, 2015
"Just buy any modern laptop and a USB Serial Port Adapter like the following" -this only works for basic uses of a serial port.

---these kind of answers are all over forums on the net, & obviosly the users dont know what the hell they are talking about.
Just dont answer unless you have some real information to pass on about a real laptop w/ a RS-232 port!

USB does not & can not carry the same voltage nor deliver it on the proper pins.

Nursecall systems, Access control systems, Elevators, Door controllers, HVAC... the list goes on and on. This is why many of us need a phucking real RS-232 port on a real phreaking laptop! The same group of people who may be looking to purchace many laptops for technicians also dont want to spend thousands to get one.

you go ahead and try using a USB to serial adaptor to update a life-safety system & watch your code load fail & a hospitals nursecall system go down because of it. nope. keep those old laptops on hand!

Docking stations can work, but those are stupid & one more thing for a person to carry. The older PCMCIA cards worked, the PCIexpress do not.

So.... anybody seen any laptops with serial ports? :) i'm thinking some OEM factory in china probably can whip some up, but i have yet to find any even in the obscure parts of the net.

--> i would love to be corrected on this. <--

Section9

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015

HP 650 G1 is the most recent one I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.