Which Razer Edge model should I get

TrekonBT

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Hello All!

Firstly, long time viewer, first time poster and new user.
Secondly, I am completely sorry if this is in the wrong section but I honestly have no idea what category this would fit in.

I'm planning on buying a Razer Edge for gaming. The reasoning is that I like carrying as minimal amount of devices as possible, so in short, I'm trading out my old Alienware M11x for this thing. I would go the cheaper route but I don't know how much it'd affect gaming performance. I usually tend to set the graphics in my games to med-high textures and shadows, ssao, and none/x2 AA, with only one 1080p monitor. That said, here are the two choices:

Edge:
Core i5 Dual core w/ Hyper Threading Base 1.7GHz / Turbo 2.6GHz
4GB DDR3 (2x2GB 1600MHz)
NVIDIA GT 640M LE (1GB DDR3, Optimus Technology)
64GB SSD

OR

Edge Pro:
Intel Core i7 Dual core w/ Hyper Threading Base 1.9GHz / Turbo 3.0GHz
8GB DDR3 (2x4GB 1600MHz)
NVIDIA GT 640M LE (2GB DDR3, Optimus Technology)
128GB SSD

I will be connecting this to my 1080p monitor.
With those, I'm leaning toward the cheaper route, because after googling and reading around, everyone is saying 1GB vs 2GB in VRAM is utterly pointless unless the res is more than 1080p. Does anyone think that'll change in the near future?
Second, I've looked online for the differences on the cores, and they surprisingly turned out to be very similar in many respects, the only major difference being the 0.4GHz in clock speed. Will that 0.4GHz mean anything to me in gaming any time soon or in the future?

Other than those concerns, I'm entirely sure I can upgrade the ram and hard drive on my own.

In your opinion, is the addition of 1GB in vram and 0.4GHz in core speed (and 64 more GB in SSD) worth the $200 increase?
Thank you for any replies. And again, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

darthrevan13

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
As far as I know you clan't increase the ram and the space of the ssd in any kind of upgrade. The parts are non removable and are glued directly to the motherboard. You would have to change the entire motherboard in order to upgrade it. That's how they made room for the jumbo cooler and battery inside the tablet.
My answer is: don't be a cheaps-cake. It's 300$ for double the ram for your cpu and GPU (8gb vs 4gb and 2gb vs 1gb), double the space, and a bump in the cpu. You will feel the difference in the future.

TrekonBT

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

Hmm. Is that how the Razer Blade was?
This decision seems to be getting harder. I only say this because I'm coming from an Alienware M11x-R3 (i7-2637, 8GB, 540m w/2GB) which is about 2years old now and it's starting to show its age in gaming. judging from the specs and correlating notebook parts when searching notebookcheck, The Edge is basically the same as my m11x right now. (albiet, slightly better graphics).

Please mind I may not know exactly what's important in specs, but even if the parts are non-removable, the only upgrade is storage and RAM. clock speed is only a slight bump, almost nothing, and after google searching vram, it seems 2GB is only necessary at res's higher than 1080p (unless that changes in upcoming games.). I can easily bypass the storage problem with an external hdd. So the only thing left is RAM. Does RAM (and vRAM i guess) really make that much of a difference?

It seems too perfect a machine for me but I also need the HDMI dock. Do you think there will be a quick refresh like the Blade? I hear the next Intel cores and nVidia's next series are coming up sometime this year. There's those... and with more time, may introduce more tempting alternatives...