Compaq Cq60 no video

emaluzer

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Hello,
I have a Compaq CQ60 that isnt displaying video. I read that this is a common problem with them machine. I ordered a replacement "tested" motherboard for it. After I installed the new motherboard it still displays nothing on the screen. I returned the mobo, and got a replacement replacement. Same outcome no video. I changed the cpu. It is suppose to have a AMD Athlon x2, I used 2 working Turion x2 and 2 different amd athlon S1 sockets and same result...seems to power up no video. Changed the RAM same result, Ac adapter, dc jack. I plugged the LCD into a similar laptop and it works. I also used 2 other working lcds and got the no video. Also nothing if I hook to external monitor. I am pulling my hair out. I contacted the seller, they said they tested the board i returned and it worked. What am I missing??? Any suggestions????

alvine

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
plug external display using vga to your laptop and see if you get any image. if not the video card is broken. if you do get signal on the external display it means your internal display need to be replaced

emaluzer

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I did that and no video....so basically the 2nd "tested" working board is bad too?
Its just weird that 3 boards all have the same issue, even tho 2 were suppose to be working.

a side point: Before the laptop died it would only recognize 1 of the 2 ram slots. So i wast thinking cpu....but even replacing that hasnt changed anything

emaluzer

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Any help???????

just to rehash.
I replaced the motherboard, with a total of 3 "new replacement mobos" same no, video but it looks like the laptop starts, tho the hd light doesnt flash.
I plugged into external monitor, same
Replaced cpu with 5 different cpus its an AMD x2 athlon 64
replaced RAM
Replaced powersupply
changed lcd 3 times
Changed inverter
tried to start with only cpu ram and lcd
change power button
changed battery

Now its more a trying to solve the mystery than trying to fix it. I am so frustrated with it. Is there anything I am missing, or should I just say this laptop has beaten me?

I have basically a "new" laptop here it should turn on!!!!!

emaluzer

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Also sometimes it powers up as soon as an ac adapter gets plugged into it. Either the original or the universal.

The power light comes on, the battery light comes on, the cpu fan spins. Nothing ever appears on the monitor. (the monitor is good, i use it daily for my desktop.)

I bought AMD athlon X2 64 socket s1 cpus and even tried those and the same result.

I even tried an extra power button from a different cq60 and it didnt make a difference

Cliftram

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014
No answer but other question. Compaq Presario CQ60-215DX 35 bit / Reinstalled Vista, ran all the updates and service packs, RAM works fine, blank screen but it works with an external monitor. Here's what puzzles me. I put a disk with Ubuntu into my DVD drive and it boots off the disk and the screen boots up, full colors, etc. So what is the real issue here? Why does it have a blank screen in Windows but no problem with Ubuntu? If it is a bad video card or monitor, why is it working fine with Ubuntu?

Vand3r

Estimable
May 20, 2014

So, what happened eventually?