Laptop CPU and Memory usage really high!

Keemann

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Hello,

I just got my laptop back from my sister as she was using it for a while - now got a new PC.

I just switched it on and i noticed that the whole system was really slow. I added the CPU and Memory gadget to the desktop. My Laptop is overheating really quick, it's been 10 mins and it's got hot when normally it takes a good hour to get hot.

The CPU % is flucturating between 70% and 100% - Idle mode is about 50% to 60%

Could there be any dust trapped in the fan?

Any help/advice?

Reply Asap!

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Open task manager and tell us what is running. Sort by Cpu and tell us what is using the most usage. Also what temp do you qualify as "overheating".

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Dust will cause the computer to get hotter, but it won't cause an increase in CPU usage.

Chances are your sister installed something that's negatively impacting your system. If I were a gambling man, I'd be betting it's malware of some kind.

Keemann

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Hello,

Thanks for the replies - I just opened Google chrome of which is taking most of the usage. All the others are part of Windows 7.. Well overheating i guess would be when it flucturates at about 60% when idling and when opening Google Chrome at about 80%.

Hmm may take a look at what software that i don't recognize and uninstall it. Also run a malware test

She has kept it on her bed of which the fan couldn't get any air out to cool it down of which she has only just told me!

Anything else i could do?

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

what are the laptops specs? maybe its just a really old laptop? when you say overheating are you actually monitoring temps?

Keemann

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Laptop is an HP G62 B28SA

Specs: Product Name G62-b28SA
Product Number XF334EA
Microprocessor 2.2 GHz AMD Athlon II Dual-Core Processor P340
Microprocessor Cache Level 2 cache 1 MB
Memory 4 GB DDR3 (2 x 2048 MB)
Video Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics
Hard Drive 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 5400 rpm
Multimedia Drive SATA optical drive: LightScribe SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Network Card Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity 802.11 b/g/n
Sound Altec Lansing speakers
Keyboard Full size keyboard with One touch launch keys and Action keys
Pointing Device Touch Pad with On/Off button and 2-way Scroll pad support
PC Card Slots 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro or xD Picture cards

I brought it 2 years ago maybe 1 year ago. Can't remember sorry.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

That is not overheating. It has nothing to do with heat. You're just assuming that because the CPU load is high that it must be overheating. CPUs can overheat under high load, but just because the load is high doesn't mean it's overheating. Most computers can run at 100% for extended periods without overheating.

The only way to determine if your CPU is overheating is to actually check the temperature with something like HWMonitor or SpeedFan.