Toshiba satellite e205 hdmi sound not working

mikethorn

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
I've lost the sound, PC to TV, on my HDMI connected Toshiba Satellite e205. Have tried every fix I can find on the internet. No joy. Any suggestions appreciated and, no, HDMI out is not listed in my connected devices.

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
While, you may believe you have tried all options available on the internet, we have no clue what steps those were. If you could indulge us by listing the steps you have tried, we can hopefully get you somewhere without repeating those steps.
I'm going to assume you've tried removing and reinstalling drivers, swapping cables, checking the mute button on your remote... what other steps?

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
The starting fix would be to go to control panel>hardware and sound>manage audio devices and make sure that the one listed as HDMI is set as default (green check box).

However as C12 has noted you have left very little information on what you have done so far it is a bit tough to make suggestions. If you haven't tried what I mentioned first start there and reply back.

mikethorn

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Thanks, I have checked that my TV is the default device in Sounds under the Control Panel. I have right clicked the speaker icon in the task bar and set my TV as the default device. There is no selection for an HDMI device. I have computer speakers or the TV. Is this what you're looking for?

mikethorn

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

Thanks, Did that. Also same operation from the Control Panel. I've even tried hooking up sound from my PC to the LR Audio input jacks separate from the HDMI and still no joy.

mikethorn

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

I have attempted to install new drivers but the RealTek website isn't working. My computer indicates my drivers are up to date. I've switched cables, swapped ends, even tried hooking up a cable from my headphone jack on the computer to inputs on the TV. I've worked both from the icon in the task bar and the control panel. Set my TV as default, still no joy.

mikethorn

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

Thank you, I'm on it and will report back soon.

paulmalti

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Problem solved !

Apparently, I had a conflict between the Intel (R) HD Graphic and Realtek audio, possibly created by the usual and sometimes annoying windows update. However, a system restore did not remedy.

Possibly, contrary to the belief that HDMI has always to do with the video driver, its the 2014 version audio only Realtek driver that is supplying the HDMI cable with audio. The Intel audio driver is uninstalled !

Thank you all folks.