Tight Budget Netbook for music

ender323

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
1. What is your budget?

I am looking at $200-$300.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Anywhere up to 15" or so.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Don't really care. Matte would be better than glossy.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable. For school, going to be in a messenger bag.

5. How much battery life do you need?

5-6 hours would be nice.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Never going to game on this.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

This is for word processing, music playback, and Netflix.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

I would honestly prefer if I could get something like a Chromebook. I just prefer traditional operating systems. That means a small SSD, perhaps. I can run with an external hard drive.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Don't care.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Long as it lasts. I need it to go for several years at the least.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Don't really need a disk drive. I suppose a DVD would be nice, though unnecessary.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I really have no preference here, though I'm hesitant around Compaq and HP due to decades-old tech support nightmares.

13. What country do you live in?

USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I am going to be using this to play music, to an external USB DAC. It would be nice if it was fanless, and could continue running while closed. I'd like to leave music playing from my bag. If I can't leave it playing in a bag, I would still prefer fanless. Quiteness is important. I am probably going to install a lightweight Linux distro. Fast startup is important-need to be able to pull it out and start typing. If there is a way that I can remote control it-Bluetooth? Just to control music. Only if it is on in my bag. Sorry for rambling.

As I said, I basically want a Chromebook, but with a real OS and removable HDD. Though if I can get a real OS on a Chromebook, thats good to. Or even if I can get a USB DAC running-don't know if it is possible.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
It is impossible to get anything for $200 new. Try buying used on craigslist or a firend. For $300, you are getting a piece of crap

However you can go on dell outlet/lenovo outlet and check there during sales. They have one every few weeks. You buy a half decent refurbished laptop for $300 ish. (Meaning it will have a pentium or i3)

If you have a micro center close to you. Check this out. Its a refurb, but fits you budget. Not that great of a deal. Check the outlet sites for that.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=041574

Oh yea, none of these will be quiet, fanless, or have a fast bootup. Soo with your tiny budget you should just get a chromebook.

ender323

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
What? Ummm....what? New Years? Hi. Its the 9th. Also, please learn real english. Spaces are appreciated, and it isn't an Apple iphone5 phone. Its just an iPhone 5.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
If you want a laptop that can do video editing and photo editing very well, for that pricing range, laptops won't do those tasks well. The only one I have found is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230600

It comes with Windows 8, Intel Celeron B820 1.7GHz, 2GB DDR 3 RAM, 320GB HDD on 5400 RPM, and Intel HD graphics. That laptop would be just fine doing simple tasks just as you said, word processing, play music, youtube videoes, and netflix (videoes or movies might not play well on high definition, might cause lag). The chromebooks, they aren't that good. They don't come with a Windows Operating system, which you cannot install most programs you want in your computer. Hope this helps. But, you should really increase your budget.

ender323

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

Hmm. Always wanted to try windows 8. I don't need video editing. I'll be fine without HD. Aware of Chromebooks operating system-I have my desktop for programs. This is for an on-the-go video watching/music listening rig. Just haven't figured out whether I can use an E07K with the Chromebook.

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
if it were me, I'd look at an HP DM1Z. they go for about $200 here in silicon valley. dual core E-350 CPU, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, GPU is good enough for light gaming and definitely good enough for netflix, great battery life, 3.5 lbs or so. 11.6in screen though- I don't know if that's too small for you. again, if it were me, I'd plop a small SSD in it but you might need more room for media.

ender323

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

Thanks for the idea. I'll look into it. Storage space is not an issue, I have a 500gb external I plan to use.