Laptop with: CPU i7 2920xm, 32GB RAM, 1920x1200 Display ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice if they waived the $12.99 shipping charge.

Since it is sold by Computer Upgrade King (through Amazon), you would think they could at least throw in free shipping... Maybe a $3,000 purchase would qualify for free shipping....

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
The shipping isn't Amazon's fault, actually. They have to put it into Amazon's fulfillment centers for it to be eligible for prime. They probably have it sitting in a show room somewhere to increase the odds of selling it.

crazypotato

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Erm...., I dont get it, why are you guys so judgmental? This is a hardware forum and we should help others to our best. If he wants a laptop like that, give him suggestions, not question him on why he is getting a laptop like that.....

I would recommend you eurocom. Their panther 4.0.

It currently supports the i7 3960x on the X79 chipset with 32gb ram and is capable of gtx 680m sli. I am sure this would be what you are looking for. It also has many other options.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

I very strongly disagree with this. We get a LOT of people coming through here who expect adding more memory to make their computers better gaming machines. Should we just let them waste that money because that's what they want? Or should we help them to the best of our ability by making sure they know that all that extra memory likely isn't going to do what they expect it to?

My opinion is that we should arm the OP with all the information needed to make an informed decision. That includes questioning the choice to purchase 300% more memory than is necessary for 99.99% of applications. If the OP then comes back and says they want it for the remaining 0.01%, then fine, whatever. But most of the time it really is a mistake made by somebody who remembers the days when more memory did make your computer faster.

And video editing on a laptop? I've seen crazier things, but not many. Certainly no professional would choose a laptop as their work machine, they're vastly more expensive than a comparable desktop, not powerful enough and have screens that are too small and too low resolution.

I didn't say it was Amazon's fault. I just stated it was sold through Amazon, by Computer Upgrade King.

06yfz450ridr

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
damn 32 gb are you trying to run 3 virtual servers as well haha. 8gb is usually more than enough for games. but a loptop is never really mean for gaming and youll see that after a while due to getting too hot

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

And I just stated why things are the way they are. No need to get defensive.

kudang

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013

This laptop is very useful,especially for 3d Rendering like 3dmax autocad and many 3d program.........

dmitriymyshkin

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Goes to show what kind of brilliant posters we have here. I for one use a laptop upgraded to 32GB, I constantly travel to and from corporate client site located in another country, I am doing development and need to have a local running copy of a huge enterprise software system that normally runs on big Sun servers, in order to develop and replicate conditions from production environment. Even with my extremely beefy machine it still takes something like 4-5 minutes to start up the application server, and other people I work with for example have their entire development environment(s) as VMware images that need to be running at the same time and each image is 6-8 GB of RAM with everything all fired up. As far as the screen goes when I'm working usually I park my laptop and attach it to two huge LCD displays, since I have the video outputs to provide that.

So perhaps you should cater to what people are asking for, not think everyone is close-minded nerd gamer like yourself who just cares about GPU.

digitalethan

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
MSI, Alienware, and MSI all have options at the high end. I know that plenty of people dislike the two brand since the buyouts and gradual loss in competitive advantage. (Not to mention the controversial aesthetics..) However, I feel that they are still solid brands with great models out. I care most about future upgrades and cooling in laptops since those are what usually bottlenecks a laptop and it's use in the future. 32GB?? Too much? I think many of the users are right in advising the disregard for 32GB of RAM; if anything, I'd only get one with a MOBO with the capability of supporting it while sticking to 12-16GB if I was purely gaming with an additional program open. However, some people seem to be passive-aggressively attacking posters just the way plenty of techies love to assert their "know-it-all" attitude. What if this guy was trying to run a bunch of labs? He might be a graphic designer without much computer tech know-how. What if he is an aspiring systems administrator wanting to run a lot of virtual servers? Maybe he's just been bitten by that bug many of us have experienced to max out our hardware. Either way... I do like the latest M18x by Alienware; I believe the 17x has that ability as well. If you're looking for a 14-15inch, I think you have to look elsewhere, and I don't even recommend going that small with the specs you're looking for unless you plan to have it as a desktop at a desk most of the time. Before I even purchase a laptop, I'd go over everything I'd be running on my computer and check the resources it currently takes up on my current machine; add 50% memory to that on your search and you should be fine for the next few years. And if you have all that money to spare, throw some my way! :D

kjy

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

Well thank you sir for your free consulting and making the originator of the question reflect on his or her reasoning as to whether or not they are a bit dumb.

I see these sort of rethorical questions from time to time and find interesting people make the assumption that another doesn't need 32GB RAM based on what I assume to be "their naivity and lack of commercial experience".

There are valid business reasons one would want 32GB Ram.

I have 32GB Ram and a single i7 Processor in my laptop because I can't get a laptop with 64GB and 2 x i7. As such I have two laptops and about 10TB of attached storage.

I work with virtualization and the "semantic web". many of my files are 25 to 128GB in size and I'm running multiple virtual machines some of them needing 8GB each. I dont wish to use the cloud for all of it because its not practical.

There are others out there who do a lot of work with native graphics, I suppose they too need some chunky laptops. I have a laptop so I can take to a customer site and have had to clone an entire production system onto my machine to make tests - I can't take a server rack with me.

UniversityOfPi

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Check out the MSI GT60 and GT70 series (granted it's only 1080p but it's the only one with the capability that I'd recommend especially since it's one of the few you can get with Haswell)
Personally I feel like 32GB is a lot more than 98% of people need on a laptop today; it's unclear if this is someone that needs like 16+ now and is future-proofing or someone who actually needs that much ram or is someone who is vastly over-estimating their needs. I'm looking at it for my machine moreso because most of the alternatives are about the same and it has great upgrade-ability

Status
Not open for further replies.