Dell or hp or lenovo

sahilz

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Hello, m a college going student persuing BTECH (ECE) 3RD YEAR... wanna buy a laptop... bt confused between hp. dell and lenovo.... suggest me the best which bst suits me....

avengedJC

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Hi sahilz, welcome to the forums, I would suggest going for HP or Dell.

Basically if you're not looking at the inside specifications for the laptop and just looking for build quality when lugging around college etc I would discount Lenovo immediately. I'm in a similar position as yourself: I'm a 2nd year college student and I'm just about to buy a new laptop. I was going to buy a lenovo at one point but my Dad persuaded me to go looking around stores before I bought online, and after seeing the plasticy, cheap feel to the lenovo I'm really glad he did!

Having said this, I presume not all lenovo's are the same so maybe it was just the model I was looking at.

Furthermore, if you're looking at which offers the best computing experience other than the aesthetics and build quality then really that just comes down to how much you're willing to spend and what your uses are? E.g are you going to be gaming or doing a lot of photo/video editing or just general surfing and college work?

chocostain

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
I'm guessing that you also would like to play some games on your laptop aside from school work.

You need to look at the unit's specs first to be able to judge it's performance. The different brands have had their share of bad reviews every now and then.

I would go for an Acer aspire if I were you.

Acer aspire v3-517g-6407 15.6 Inches. The v2 version is also good if you're low in budget.

The specs packs a punch!

Hope this helps.

Dalbi

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Furthermore, if you're looking at which offers the best computing experience other than the aesthetics and build quality then really that just comes down to how much you're willing to spend and what your uses are? E.g are you going to be gaming or doing a lot of photo/video editing or just general surfing and college work?

You must decide what's important for you. Gaming/Rendering ecc...? Focus on the gpu (check here: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/). This pc must last in time? Buy a valid cpu (intel 3 series, Amd A series)... and so on. A pc with all high level component isn't cheap.

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

The ThinkPad line from Lenovo is awesome still. Great build quality, materials and workmanship. The non-ThinkPad lines from Lenovo are rather pedestrian. I wouldn't buy their non-ThinkPad stuff that you see in BestBuy or Walmart/Costco.

There is also ASUS, who charges a premium for a better overall machine.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Yeah, the high-end Lenovo stuff is bloody amazing - as are ASUS.

Biggest piece of advice I can give you is this: don't buy a dell. Period.
Their computers are badly built and filled with bloatware, and their customer service is absolutely horrible.

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Definitely no Dell. Perhaps in the future when they have a solid decade of reliability behind them to negate their current decade.