What's Inside Microsoft's Kinect, Anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

wow thats quite different to your everyday piece of machinery

G

Why would this need a 3 axi accelerometer. Dosen't it just sit above your TV watching you and stuff...

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
""I don't actually know how it works; I think it runs on magic actually. That sounds right," and we think a lot of people might be in the same boat."

Its funny cause there is the other side of the coin, with retards and ignorants that keep comparing this with an EyeToy.. lol I do have an EyeToy that its never used. I last hooked it up for trying out my Move on my PS3 but thats about it. I just collect, make my own personal opinion and keep using if worth it. But dont go compare a freaking webcam with Kinect. ffs

Im Greek so ill be getting mine on the 10th. I know ill laugh my ass off even from looking stupid myself infront of it to just check out the offerings for now and even more when i get others try this out. Personally I know ill enjoy it mostly when the next wave of games and finally some triple A Kinect only games are released for it. By then also hopefully we'll have Kinect use for our PCs too :)

existencenow

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I entirely agree with kevlar. with only one contradiction. microsoft would financially rape any company that would want to use these ideas with there giant Lawsuithammer.

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
I think this is amazing...I remember some sony drones saying this was just an overhyped eyetoy...lol...yeah, and eyetoy with as more memory and processing power than a Wii. I love my kinect, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for something unique in the motion gaming space...it's not revoltuinary (not like the Ipad, wink wink), but it is very unique, and the potential is there to really deliver a experience unlike any. I've played 3 games on it, Fighters Uncaged, Dance Central, and Kineect Adventures, and Dance Central is simply a must try/have title. Even if you're not into dancing, there is something really cool about having an avatar track you so closely. Fighter's Uncaged is pretty good as well, but the tracking isn't anywhere as good as D/C. The bundle software is okay, but as it's no wii sports. Overall, I'm looking forward to what gets released over the next 6 months for Kinect.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]Accelerometer???man that's creepy. What is this thing gonna do, grow legs and start walking around?[/citation]
Not if it has a wrist band. Wait... NVM.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Some other outdated crap that goes along with the outdated crapbox Im sure. Hope this console fad soon passes PC Gaming FTW.[/citation]

you sir are the biggest retard of the day, if not the year.

I don't even have xbox but i just have to call u that.cuz u deserves it.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]hiruu[/nom]I think this is amazing...I remember some sony drones saying this was just an overhyped eyetoy...lol...yeah, and eyetoy with as more memory and processing power than a Wii. I love my kinect, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for something unique in the motion gaming space...it's not revoltuinary (not like the Ipad, wink wink), but it is very unique, and the potential is there to really deliver a experience unlike any. I've played 3 games on it, Fighters Uncaged, Dance Central, and Kineect Adventures, and Dance Central is simply a must try/have title. Even if you're not into dancing, there is something really cool about having an avatar track you so closely. Fighter's Uncaged is pretty good as well, but the tracking isn't anywhere as good as D/C. The bundle software is okay, but as it's no wii sports. Overall, I'm looking forward to what gets released over the next 6 months for Kinect.[/citation]
That's exactly what it is. An overhyped EyeToy. Until I see it play something other than dance games or other "family" games that make you flail around like an idiot, then how is it not like an EyeToy? It's going to at least need extra peripherals to play any serious games. I don't think the shovelware companies are even going to waste time on it.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Personally, I think a hybrid of the Move and Kinect would be even more awesome (albeit more money). I like the idea of full body tracking, but I also like the idea of something to hold in my hands with buttons and controls. I'm not much of a lazy person, so the thought of actually being able to act out the actions in a first person shooter like throwing grenades, reloading, meleeing ect would be very appealing to me.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]blueboy01[/nom]Why would this need a 3 axi accelerometer. Dosen't it just sit above your TV watching you and stuff...[/citation]
No, once Skynet comes online and becomes self-aware, it will need to use the accelerometer for basic locomotion.

brianmoz

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]That's exactly what it is. An overhyped EyeToy. Until I see it play something other than dance games or other "family" games that make you flail around like an idiot, then how is it not like an EyeToy? It's going to at least need extra peripherals to play any serious games. I don't think the shovelware companies are even going to waste time on it.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]That's exactly what it is. An overhyped EyeToy. Until I see it play something other than dance games or other "family" games that make you flail around like an idiot, then how is it not like an EyeToy? It's going to at least need extra peripherals to play any serious games. I don't think the shovelware companies are even going to waste time on it.[/citation]

Que portentous gamer

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009

You are aware that the games are all targeting casual gamers initially right? that the EyeToy is nothing more then a webcam with some softwear behind it lacking the audio, or depth sensing capabilities that is on the K...

Unfortionately to say that the EyeToy is like the Kinect is like saying my webcam is like the Eyetoy, and in turn like the kinect becaus it to can track my face and i can also play strange games with it... But I am looking forward to your argument on how the EyeToy isint like a normal WebCam supported by vender softwear.

Status
Not open for further replies.