GeForce GT 650M problems?

Powka

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Hey,

My first laptop has GT 650M 1GB in it with Intel HD Graphics 4000 chip, and the other one has got ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 2GB. I was wondering, is it normal that Radeon has a better Windows Index (5.9) than the GeForce (4.6)? When buying that I thought it would've been more powerful even with 1GB.

Also, when I open DirectX Diagnostic Tool (dxdiag in Search) on my GeForce laptop, it says Intel HD Graphics 4000 under "Display", and no mention of GT 650M. Is that normal, is it being recognized or only the Intel HD Graphics chip? I do however see a GeForce under Device Manager, so the hardware is there, but is it working?

I just found it weird that my laptop that was twice as expensive (if not more) with GeForce GPU has an lower overall Windows Index (4.6) while the cheaper one has 5.5 Windows Index - it's all mostly because of GPU, which is bringing the whole overall number down.

Thanks!

I believe that is normal for whatever reason. When I initially received my Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 with the nVidia GT 550m, I too was curious to check out my WEI score (even though it's more or less useless). Windows only recognized the Intel HD 3000 graphics core.

Of course when I play games I can tell the difference between when the GT 550m was being used and when the Intel HD 3000 was being used (I manually switched off the GT 550m). Games I tested like Crysis which ran pretty smooth with the GT 550m turned into a stuttering series of "stop-go" actions with the Intel HD 3000.

Powka

Honorable
May 4, 2012
I see then.

How about the fact that ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 2GB is shown as way more powerful than GeForce GT 650M 1GB - is that normal?

1. Right click on an open area of the desktop. and select nVidia Control Panel.

2. Go to 3D Settings / Manage 3D Settings / Global Settings Tab

3. The default selection is "Auto-Select" and WEI will auto select this unless you change this. So open the drop down and select "High Performance nVidia Processor".

4. Reboot and run the WEI

I'd change it back after you have satisfied ya curiosities.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
WEI will never read the dedicated GPU in Optimus-based nVidia graphics (which is ALL of their modern mobile graphics).

It's best never to go by WEI for anything, anyway, since it's so terribly inaccurate.

No.

Just install a game that you know is demanding similar to Crysis. At 1366x768 resolution the GT 650m should be able to play the game smoothly at high settings. I would guess probably around an average of 36 FPS in the 2nd chapter "Relic" based on my testing with the older and slower GT 550m.

If you get a slide show / lots of stuttering then you know something is wrong 'cause that the performance you can expect from the Intel HD 4000 playing a really graphics demanding game.