Non-gaming laptop under 1k

dan_30

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Hi all,

I have a one-sentence description of what I'm looking for in #14. I haven't shopped for a laptop in 10 years, so I would definitely appreciate any advice you guys have to offer!

1. What is your budget?
Would prefer around $500, but willing to go up to around $1k

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Compact/travel size - lightweight

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Standard

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
This is not replacing a desktop

5. How much battery life do you need?
8 hours between charges (or longer) would be nice

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
This laptop will be for travel, business school, and work related (Office, web, email, ect) - no photoshop, no video editing, no games.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
128gb SSD - only interested in SSD. I am technical and could replace an HD with an SSD if there is a large cost savings...but I'd rather not.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I always like newegg. I also get discounts from Dell.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
1 year, maybe 2 - its primary purpose is a study abroad trip this summer.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Dvd not required. One that is swappable with a spare battery would be cool.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
We use Dell at work. Any reputable/quality brands are preferred. This is for my wife and I'd rather not spend time troubleshooting/fixing it. Please avoid Apple.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Lightweight, compact, power efficient, with quick/snappy performance for everyday tasks from quality brand for under 1k.

Thanks for your time.
-Dan

just asking

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

I definitely wouldn't buy a dell laptop, look at the lenovo brand laptops.

Not sure if you use skype for business or anything, but all their laptops come with skype premium for a year free. ^^