Looking for a new 'gaming' laptop

Genevie

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Looking for a new laptop to use until I get my dream Alienware in 2014. My main desire is to be able to play The Sims 3 on high settings.

1. What is your budget?

Ideally under £550

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

No smaller than 15"

3. What screen resolution do you want?

No preference

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

No preference

5. How much battery life do you need?

No preference

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Sims 3 + all expansions on high

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Photo editing, and other basic tasks (Internet use, film and music playback, word processing etc)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

No preference, though 500GB upwards would be nice

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Anywhere reputable!

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

At least 1 year

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

No preference

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

No preference, though I haven't had good luck with HP in the past.

13. What country do you live in?

U.K.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I'm really looking for a 2.0Ghz or higher processor, and even more importantly 8GB RAM. At the very least it needs to be upgradable to that level. I'm open to laptops with an RRP somewhat higher than £550 as I know that's quite low for what I want and I don't mind picking up something used. Windows 7 or Windows 8 are both fine for me.

cranachan

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

*cough* he said he was in the UK *cough*

pfunkmd

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Darn didn't think about that. I just looked and it looks like notebooks are a bit more money in the UK but this will still give him a starting point.

I just found a really good Lenovo on Ebay.co.uk great specks with a really good middle high end NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M Graphics Card I actually own a lenovo and for the money it is a great pc

I think you can find most of the notebooks I listed on Ebay.co.uk for good prices

benfish

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012

The 660m is realy not that much better than the 650m. I would go with the 650m to save money. Maybe put the money you would save towards an ssd upgrade.