My computer won't charge or turn on

G

Hello,
I am very confused. My compaq laptop won't charge or turn on at all. I don't know whether it is the charger or not, but it won't turn on. I am quite worried, as this was an expensive laptop. The warranty has also expired, so the company won't help me. It did finally turn on a few months ago, and stayed on for a couple of hours. Then stopped working again. Help me please?

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hello,
I am very confused. My compaq laptop won't charge or turn on at all. I don't know whether it is the charger or not, but it won't turn on. I am quite worried, as this was an expensive laptop. The warranty has also expired, so the company won't help me. It did finally turn on a few months ago, and stayed on for a couple of hours. Then stopped working again. Help me please?

It might be a bad battery, or a bad A/C adaptor.

Remove the battery and any external devices like a docking station, external cd/dvd drive, harddrive, keyboard, mouse. etc.

Connect only the A/C adaptor to the laptopand to the wall outlet.
See if it powers-on the laptop now.

G

So is it beyond repair? Or is there something I can do? Taking out that battery doesn't help. I have a feeling it may be my charger, I am going to buy a new one and see if it helps. Thank you for the advice.

nappysac123

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Hello,

the first thing u have to figure out is if this is the only charger u have ever used for the laptop. My parents have bought 3 chargers for their laptop because their chargers all stopped working because they moved it around soooo much and the wires inside the cord are so fragile.

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I don't know what model of laptp that you have, but you might also try reseating the memory in the laptop. There is a door or a panel on the bottom of the laptop with a screw or two to hold it in. Open that with a screwdriver and remove the ram chip(s) and then put them back in.