Get wifi using my usb modem

val28

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hello,
I have verizon wireless USB Modem and would like to know what i have to do to turn it in to a hotspot for my mobile devce?

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I found this: The steps are different though depending on if you’re using Vista or XP. If you’re using a Mac, you’re outside my territory.

Grab a cup of mocha. You just might need it. Here we go.

Here’s the Vista steps:

1. Start Button
2. Control Panel
3. (search for Network) click on Network and Sharing Center
4. Under tasks, click on Manage Network Connections (not to be confused with manage wireless networks)
5. Locate your broadband adapter’s connection and right click it
6. Click Properties
7. Click on the Sharing Tab
8. Check the box “Allow other users to connect through this computer’s connection”
9. There should be a drop down box that lets you select the Wireless Connection as the way you wish to share. Click ok twice (until boxes are gone)

*phew…breathe if you’ve come this far. Might not take long but it feels that way typing this.

10. Return to the Network and Sharing Center.
11. In the left hand column under Tasks, select “Set up a connection or network”.
12. Click Setup a Wireless Ad Hoc (Computer to Computer) network
13. Give it a name
14. Select form of encryption. Can be anything but for sake of simplicity let’s say it’s WEP. If you choose it to be so, it must be a 5 character password or 13 characters. Make one up.
15. Back to Network and Sharing Center. Click on manage wireless networks. You should see the network you created. If it says waiting on users to connect…then your girl’s laptop should be able to see it, put in the password and hop on.

If it can’t see it, then double click the ad hoc network on your computer to “connect to it” (activating it) then see if she can see it. Also, if it’s not working, you may need to disconnect the broadband adapter and reconnect it.

The steps for XP are fundamentally similar.

If this works….send me a gazillion dollars to my doorstep for typing this much.