GOT a NEW LAPTOP, WHAT DO I DO WITH IT?

warpvelocity

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Hi. I want to know EVERYTHING there is to check about my laptop since I ordered it online through HP and only have a 21 days return. Physically it looks great, but I'm still iffy since y'know it's HP. And the laptop was delivered from China. The package came horrendous but I'm lucky there's no scratches or any missing keys. So yes, I want to get the full performance from this baby. Here's a link to it:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&config_id=7688754

NOTE: So I have Norton 360 as my antivirus. I already used up the three uses for one key. Is it possible to transfer one of the use from my old broken, screwed up laptop to my new one? Just a side thing in case anyone has any idea about it.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Well what exactly do you want there to be to check?

Run some performance tests, compare to benchmarks, make sure all the features you want are working...

I don't believe there's a way to transfer it like that, but with Microsoft Security Essentials (Which is free at Microsoft's support website) and Malwarebytes (Which can also be free), I've never had any worries.

warpvelocity

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

Well I guess I want to know some programs to use to test my new laptop. Like I know I'm going to be installing SpeedFan to know how hot my new laptop gets, especially when I game. If It gets really hot I might return it. I'm not sure. Just recommended applications to do performance tests, or check dead pixels, all of that good stuff. I'm not really that tech savvy about it.

And thanks, I guess I'll have to use those programs too.

Lunatasian

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
I don't want to crush your hopes or anything, but you should've gotten this: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=5B0116E237099FA0FCA012D9B20ED2FB?ipromoID=TMM728911&#.UNtPDG-jbBZ

Lenovo is generally a better brand than HP, becuase they've had their battery issues and overheating problems. Also, this has a quad core i7 with 8 threads versus your dual core i5 with 4 threads. It has the same GPU, with the same amount of VRAM.

As for what you can do, you should test it out on some games XD. Or look up benchmarks for your specs, etc. Have a little fun with it. Tinkering is great! Hope I helped! If you have any problems, please reply.

warpvelocity

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

I got my HP for $805 (including tax) during a discount sale vs. the Lenovo $819.00 + tax. I was willing to sacrifice the processor when I was comparing it with that Lenovo model. Hopefully my laptop doesn't have that bad of issues.

Tinkering I will definitely do :D

Lunatasian

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

LOL, glad you got a good deal. The Lenovo model also has more RAM and bigger HDD, but I don't think it matters too much to you.
HP is cleaning up their act, so you should be fine. They don't overheat as much now, and there are less battery issues. I'm not too sure about customer service. I got
a laptop from HP two years ago, and it ran fine, just heated up while gaming. Until I got a virus... but I reinstalled the OS, so now worries! XD
Hope I helped!
-Lunatasian