Laptop to drive two 2560x1440 displays

stl_jones

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hi, I'm looking for a laptop that can drive two high-res monitors, most likely U3011's, so it's going to need either two display ports, or two Dual Link DVI, or one of each. Also, I need to still have the laptop display on, so it has to be able to drive three displays.

The new Macbook Pro would work, but it has 2 thunderbolt ports and I would rather not spend that much. Any ideas? Thanks

Hi :)

I assume you are kidding right ?

I sell laptops in my shops, a laptop that's capable of that would cost you around £2500 PLUS...

A PC thats capable would be a quarter of the price...

Oh and no way in the world would a Macbook Pro do it either...

You realise Thunderbolt is JUST an IO port ?

All the best Brett :)

G

Thunderbolt can also be used for displays, but the prices of the displays are truly horrendous.

k1114

Distinguished
An hd 4000 can easily run 2x 2560x1440 which is what the mbp uses. You do realize video is just data so any data port can run a monitor if it has enough bandwidth. And TB has plenty to daisy chain.

You really need to stop the misinformation brett. And please stop spamming "I sell laptops." So do many other electronic stores and in most of them, the people there don't know much either.

G

Not exactly what you're looking for, Dell Notebook with the E-Port II Docking station might do what you're looking to achieve.

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=bsd&cs=ukbsdt1&sku=452-11421&~ck=baynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=2&baynote_irrank=0

G

I assumed from their post the they already knew that, from them saying they didn't want to spend that much. Meh..

I DO sell laptops, I also DO NOT advertise my company here... the Mods know who I am but no users...

I deliberately do not name my company as it would influence my UNBIASED advice...

As its against Toms rules to make personal attacks (which I consider yours to be) then...in the interest of the sites harmony, and the fact that arguing does not help the OP, I will leave this thread now...

And just out of interest for you, I have been selling and REPAIRING laptops probably longer than you have been alive...

G

Oooo that sounds like a challenge ...lulz

stl_jones

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Ok...

1. Can most new laptops with dedicated graphics drive 3 displays? My current 1.5 year old entry level laptop with an integrated Intel graphics can only drive two displays. I read ATI's new cards are eyefinity ready so they can drive many displays, where multiple displays is not nividia's strong point.

2. Most monitors can't run 2560x1600 on VGA right? I'm running 2560x1440 through VGA right now, but my understanding is that is rare and specific to my monitor. So to run 2560x1440, I'm going to have to use Dual-Link DVI or display port, and I'm going to need two.

k1114

Distinguished
The hd 4000 can run 3 monitors. The nvidia 640m and up can run 4 monitors as long as it is kepler. And the amd cards can do 3-6 depending on the model. In any case, the third monitor or more needs to be on displayport. So pretty much any new laptop as long as it has the connections.

VGA usually only goes up to 2048x1536.

stl_jones

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I really do need this semi-soon. I'll send $10 on Pokerstars / Moneybookers to anyone who can find me a laptop with two display ports or a combination of display port + DVI.

spartanrace

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

envy 17's have two display ports, hp stopped selling them,

but you can still get them from ebay , amazon , and computer upgade king

I ordered one back in september but they delayed the order a month (so I canceled the order) so I have decided I can wait until they offer it with a faster CPU, but HP is not selling the envy 17 anymore, I will wait until the Haswell comes out and I hope HP has a laptop with two thunderbolt or display ports by then, if they have not then I will buy from originpc which just has a display port and dvi and hdmi, i hope origin has a thunderbolt port and higher resolution on their laptop screen by then, like the apple retina

apple has two high resoultion ports I would get an apple but they do not have a numeric key pad and they do not have 17 inch
you can use an adapter to go from thunderbolt port to display port

norval_75

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

well u can get one laptop that can do that for less than 2500 usd actually @ 2099 usd perhaps less depending on your configuration(1800 usd) .try the asus g55vw and asus g75vw.

I stand by by first answer....

For two reasons...

1, I am UK and computer equipment costs more here than in the US...

2, The OP wants to use 2 extremely high end 30 inch IPS high res monitors....those Asus lappies wont run them...