Laptop CPU Overheating Issues - Dell XPS 15 L502x

Relavar

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Hello Community,

Apologies is this is posted in the incorrect area.

I'm at a loss. Essentially the issue is that the cpu temperature starts at 50C and rises consistently to around 79C on IDLE. GPU is around 55-60. This continues until eventually the computer shuts off for safety reasons. Needless to say, no strenuous activities can happen on this computer. (games, etc.)

Things I've done:

- Updated the chipset, both video drivers (nvidia and intel), and the bios

- Opened up the entire thing and cleaned out the fan and any other areas that had dust (which was little).

- Removed the original thermal compound and reapplied a fresh and appropriate layer to the GPU AND CPU

I'm extremely distraught that a computer that is barely a year old has this much of an issue. Warranty is up. I plead for your assistance.

Thanks in advance.

Specs:
Windows 7 Professional, ACPI x64-based PC
Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00 GHz
Intel HD Graphics 3000
NVIDIA GeFore GT 525M

unreal9400

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
I see the problem here.
Please install drivers from your laptop manufacturer website.
The drivers from the laptop manufacturer have been customized especially for your laptop.
I have been using OEM drivers from my laptop manufacturer website and I have no issues at all.
I have compared using drivers from Nvidia and generally it runs hotter 4-5 C.
Using OEM drivers from my laptop manufacturer has decrease both my CPU and GPU temperature significantly.
Idle temperature for my CPU is 50 C and my GPU is at 40 C after using OEM drivers.
Also be careful when applying thermal paste for your laptop CPU and GPU.
You only need to apply a little bit of thermal paste and spread it evenly using a card and make sure it covers the surface to ensure proper contact between the CPU/GPU and heatsink.

Relavar

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Thanks for your reply, however there are no oem drivers that i can find for my specific laptop. (Dell XPS l502x)

It's been suggested that I need to replace my heatsink, and that may be, but it seems to be in good condition so I'm not really understanding what the problem is.

Relavar

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Thanks for moving to the right location. I'm still having this problem and it's progressively getting worse, so if anybody has any suggestions, I'd really like to hear them.

Thanks!

Jaslan02

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

If misery loves company, I have the same exact problem. I also have a Dell XPS L502x with the nVidia 525M chipset. I came across your post while doing a GOOGLE search on the topic. The only thing I can add is that my issue started appearing after I disassembled my laptop for another purpose. Never saw the issue previously. Could be coincidental. Of course my warranty expired in October, so I'm SOL.

BTW, my overheating occurs only when heavy duty gaming/graphics. Is this the same for you?

Relavar

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

I'm sorry to hear you're having the same problem. I've yet to be able to fix this, although I now have the bottom panel open, a laptop cooler pad, and the mesh covers over all the vents removed, and that helps a LOT. However, it still doesn't fix my problem. I just ordered a new heatsink and fan, so hopefully that'll fix my issue. Basically I can do regular tasks now and it stays around 55 C. However if I game anything it flies right back up to 95 C.

Jaslan02

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

Thank for the additional info. Have you attempted to contact Dell to see what or even if they are willing to repair?
Will I like Dell support for warranty, I can't stand using their non-warranty support services. Absolutely the worst. They assume everyone is a blubbering idiot, make you a pay a not so trivial diagnostic fee (I believe it is around $75) before they tell you they cannot fix it and you have to send it in. Not sure if they apply the the fee to the repair bill (if it is fixable).
I would try a local repair shop that handles Dell Field Service effort You'll be surprised how many there are around. They have probably dealt with this problem numerous time for Dell's on site warranty service. Let us know what you find out.

As for me...I'm taking the lazy way out. Don't have the time, energy or inclination to go through the process. So basically my high end Dell XPS laptop has become an overpriced netbook, basically good for surfing the web, and light word processing.

Those Google Chromebooks are looking bettter and better every day, especially at the lucratively low price of $200.