Laptop for programing and multimedia

Langly060

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Good day to anyone who can hear my case.

I am, as the thread states, looking for a laptop for programing. I am working with AS3 for the basic understanding of programing. I will eventually work into C++ and C# focusing on game programing and coding. This will not be my main unit to do the heavy compiling, just for mobility when I work with my partner.

1. What is your budget?
500-1000, willing to go up to 12-1300

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" ish, but i understand that 17" is better, so either or

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Unknown if this is a factor.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Prefer portable but am willing to change

5. How much battery life do you need?
Ideal: 4hrs - 6hrs, but this might be a stretch.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
None, use a desktop to play.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Multimedia: movies, some music,maybe music editing, basic word-processing

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500gb to 1tb, not real picky

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Don't know of any other than dell

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD, never see the reason for blu-ray.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Dell is all that I have known with a laptop but I hear good things about ASUS. No real brand loyalty though.

13. What country do you live in?
US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'm going into the military next year and would like something that could last me while in, but that could be 5+ year laptop life.
Durability is a strong need.

I'm not picky about small thing and am open to different approaches to solve the issue. If Windows or Linux or (pffff) iOS X is the best for programing around game development then, by all means, I'll go with it.

Langly060

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Additional notes from OP:
I would prefer a SSD as opposed to an HDD.
DVD is not really important and may not be needed.
I would prefer an i7 quad core, unless there is a convincing argument to use a duo core.