What laptop would you recommend?

pivotax

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
1. What is your budget?
15 000 Norwegian kroner /
2 650 U.S. dollars /
1 650 British pounds

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I was hoping for something around a 17 inch screen. Weight and thickness don't really matter but I wouldn't mind a smaller size(thickness).

3. What screen resolution do you want?
No less than 1920x1080. More is fine but I'd prefer to keep the 16:9 ratio. I definitely don't want a screen with a ratio with the height higher than 16:9(17:9 is ok but 16:10 is not). Basically I don't mind a wider screen ratio but not a taller one.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I have plans of taking it on the go, when I go away for vacation, for school, etc.

5. How much battery life do you need?
I won't be without a charge for more than 5/6 hours at a time, and when I am without a charge, I'm probably just watching a movie or two.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, games are a definite. I play more modern games, on medium+.
Games such as; Mafia II, Saints Row 3, Grand Theft Auto IV(and the upcoming GTA V), Counter Strike: Source, Counter Strike: Global Offensive, Left 4 Dead 2, etc.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Video editing in Sony Vegas 11 Pro and Adobe After Effects CS5.
Photo editing in Photoshop CS5 and Microsoft Paint(deal with it).
3D rendering in Cinema 4D(possibly 3Ds Max).
Music production in Fruity Loops Studio 10.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
As much as possible. Preferably 750GB or more.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
http://www.prisguide.no/kategorier/baerbar-pc
This is a Norwegian site (I live in Norway) that has compiled a bunch of sites that are in Norway or ship to Norway. Just use an extension to translate the site (there is a built-in one in Google Chrome).

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Atleast 5 years(I might upgrade in 5 years).

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I just need a standard optical drive, if I even use it, it won't be for reading a Bluray disc.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
One with quality, preferably some major ones like Acer, Asus, Samsung, etc. But not Apple, I don't think I need to explain myself.

13. What country do you live in?
Norway.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I was looking on that site and found this one that seemed pretty decent; http://www.prisguide.no/produkt/samsung-700z7c-s01se-161313

pivotax

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

Well, I want preferably 750gb or more, this one has 500gb.
I want 1920x1080, this one is 1366x768
I'd like a 17inch screen, this one is 15 inches.
Also, it only has 4gb memory, I'd also prefer 8gb+.

But thanks for coming with a suggestion!

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Perhaps you do need to explain yourself.

Go see a 15" 2.3GHz MacBook Pro with Retina display... Quality, quality, quality. Once you see your work on a Retina Display you'll never go back to another meh laptop. Don't let prejudice get in the way of a costly decision.

pivotax

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

The only macbook that reaches my needs is the Apple Macbook Pro i7 2.4GHz 17 which is not sold in any of the norwegian stores.
All the others either have less than 8gb ram, less than 750gb storage capacity or are less that 16/17" and also I need my Microsoft Paint. Let's just leave it at that.