Upgrading Crucial SSD hard drive on Dell Vostro 220 - DIY

JLWellington

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Hello...I am rather new to this, but here is my question. I have a Dell Vostro 220 with the original hard drive. Can I add a second hard drive, which is an ssd, to work in conjunction with the original hard drive, and leave both of them in the machine?
Thank you.
Jennifer

Just to clarify (since this is the laptop forum) you have a Vostro 220 or 220 slimline desktop here? If so then your service manual is here (covers 220, 220s and 420)
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_vostro_desktop/vostro-220s_service%20manual_en-us.pdf
go to the "drives" section
Your manual was found here
http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/Product/vostro-220s

I will add that you will want to move your operating system onto the SSD and you may want to look for one that comes with an adapter since it's very likely the Vostro does not provide for mounting 2.5" drives
Hope it helps some

JLWellington

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Thank you for your help. Yes, it is a desktop (220), wrong forum, whoops. It looks like I might know just enough to get into trouble.

I looked at the manual, and now know where to find it. I have opened the unit and took a look around, and it looks so....simple, but I know from reading stories and talking to friends, that it can be....not so simple.

If I actually get the screwdrivers out, I am sure that I will have more questions. Hopefully I will at least post in the correct forum.

Again, thank you for your time and input.

TRENDING THREADS