Need to choose a laptop that will play sims 3 on medium-high

victoria_bolshey

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Hi,

I would really appreciate if you could help me to choose a new laptop, preferably Toshiba, that I could work on, use for storage of all my pictures, music, documents and MOST importantly be able to play sims 3 on and the expansion packs. I have my eye on something and I was wondering if the laptop could run sims 3 and its expansion packs on medium to HIGH graphics. I currently use Apple macbook late 2009 that can hardly run the sims 3 and i want to buy a laptop that would really do the trick. I am aiming to spend around £600-£900 and would prefer Toshiba brand laptops. The laptop I am currently thinking about getting is this:

Toshiba SATELLITE P855-307

Processor type : 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Processor with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0, clock speed : 2.30 / 3.30 Turbo GHz
3rd level cache : 6 MB

Operating System / Platform
Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit (pre-installed, Toshiba-HDD recovery)

System memory standard : 8,192 (4,096 + 4,096) MB
maximum expandability : 16,384 MB
technology : DDR3 RAM (1,600 MHz)

Hard disk capacity : 1 TB
drive rotation : 5,400 rpm

Display size : 39.6cm (15.6”)
internal resolution : 1,366 x 768

Graphics adaptor type : NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M with CUDA™ Technology and NVIDIA® Optimus™ Technology
memory : 2,048 MB dedicated VRAM. Available graphics memory can be expanded using system memory, through TurboCache™ technology: up to 4,095 MB with 6 GB system memory installed as shown in the NVIDIA control panel, (with pre-installed 64-bit operating system).
memory type : DDR3 Video RAM (resp. Video RAM and system memory combined)

or this:

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM processor (2.4 GHz (up to 3.4 GHz with TurboBoost), 1600 MHz 6MB Cache)
Operating System Windows® 8
RAM 8 GB DDR3
Graphics card 2 GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M dedicated memory
Screen resolution 1366 x 768
Screen size 15.6"
Hard drive 1 TB SATA
5400 rpm

I am not very computer savvy so would really appreciate your hellp!)

Many thanks!!

Solution
The second laptop with the nVidia GT 640m would be the better choice because it is the more powerful laptop of the two.

Both laptops have a quad core i7 CPU and it is basically overkill for the Sims 3 which uses only 1 or 2 cores. Based on the brief description of what you want to do with the laptop you can save some money by dropping down to a dual core CPU like a Core i5-3210m.
The second laptop with the nVidia GT 640m would be the better choice because it is the more powerful laptop of the two.

Both laptops have a quad core i7 CPU and it is basically overkill for the Sims 3 which uses only 1 or 2 cores. Based on the brief description of what you want to do with the laptop you can save some money by dropping down to a dual core CPU like a Core i5-3210m.

Solution