Finding Accurate Specs on max memory and number of drive bays

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I am looking for a notebook computer with two hard drive bays and that can run 32gb of memory.
also needs usb 3 and esata and should have a 2nd gen core i5 or better.

When i find a good deal on a computer i think i might like i am having a very difficult time finding out if it has two drive bays and I have also found the max memory listed on notebooks, even by the manufacture to be inaccurate.

Many times i find customer systems with more memory installed and running then what is supposed to be supported by the particular notebook model and so i no longer trust those specs.

Where can i find this accurate data?

One source of data on computer parts I can usually rely on is newegg but they fail to deliver ALL the important notebook specs.
Often some specs are just missing.

Even the on manufactures websites, i have been having a very hard time finding the number of drive bays on a particular model notebook.

I realize that in order to have two drive bays it will probably need to be a larger notebook above 15 inches at least and that is fine.

If anybody has a particular model of notebook in mind that meets all these specs, please let me know.

But it will be harder for me to find a good deal on one particular model notebook.
I would to keep my options open to the notebooks i can find great prices on and, just find somewhere with reliable specs I can check quickly.

wanderer11

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
http://shop.lenovo.com/gbweb/gb/en/learn/products/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w520/ Here you go. That what you are looking for? If you look at the specs it has options for raid 0 so it must have 2 bays. It also lists up to 32GB RAM.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Good point.
If it has raid options then it has two drive bays.
Hoping to find a notebook with these specs that retails under 1k.
Then I can probably find it for around $600 or less.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

Another option is to remove the CD-Drive, and using an adapter you can use a standard Laptop HDD or a SSD in place.
I did it to my laptop for I haven't used a CD or DVD in years, everything is digital downloads now.
Worst case you use quickly plug in a USB DVD drive for when you need to use one.

That should improve your options for choosing a laptop, or even enable 3 drives in RAID if you so wished.

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006

I don't think he's looking specifically for it to come pre-configured with 32GB, just a computer that has the capability to be upgraded to 32GB.