Laptop bios does not see ssd

fishman328

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
I have an hp dc2745se laptop with a Crucial M4 128GB SSD installed with firmware version 010g. I was able to boot into the operating system once after cloning, but that was it. After a reboot the hard drive is undetected by the bios. I thought this might be a driver issue at first but the fact is the BIOS will not display the hard drive in the boot options nor the DVD when the SSD hard drive is plugged in. The original drive is a SATA drive which still works when plugged in. I have the most recent BIOS update installed on the laptop and the latest firmware on the SSD. This is my last hope of installing this SSD in my laptop and any help would be appreciated.

It is a Wistron 30d6 motherboard with a NVDIA nForce 560 Rev. A2 chipset

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
What cloning software did you use?
Personally I only recommend a Clean install when moving from a HDD -> a SSD unless there are speacial problems preventing this.

The Bios should be set for AHCI for the Clean install.
You would need to select Custom Install and DELETE all partitions on the SSD before proceding.
If you do NOT have installation disk, you can barrow on and use it. JUUST DO NOT enter the Key code until AFTER installaton is complet. Then Enter YOUR laptop keycode to activate.
If You used an Upgrade win 7 disk to do this then after you complet installation you will need to do one of two things prior to activation>
SEE: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_use_your_windows_7_upgrade_disk_fresh_pc?page=0,1

fishman328

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

My first attempt was a clean install and I had the same result after reboot no hard drive detected in bios. I am going to try a clean install again and will let you Know. It is one thing I did not do since the firmware update.

I use clonezilla.