Can I replace a laptop's screen with a higher res one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay_curtis36

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
If I had a 15.6" laptop, could I replace the screen with a higher res one? In this case, the GTX 660m would be outputting 1366x768, and I know that it could output higher. So if I replaced:

15.6-inch WideScreen (13.6"x7.6")
Resolution: WXGA (1366x768) HD
Type: Glossy
Backlight type: LED
Video signal connector: 40 pin LED socket

With

Size: 15.6-inch WideScreen (13.6"x7.6")
Resolution: WXGA++ (1600x900) HD+
Type: Matte
Backlight type: LED
Video signal connector: 40 pin LED socket???

Both are for same laptop, but different res and style.

MC_K7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
Yes it "should" work, but there's no way to be sure, I wouldn't take the risk. I replaced LCDs on laptops before and of course it depends on the model some are harder to replace than others, but in general it's a pain in the ass. I wouldn't recommend doing it just for fun, replace it only if it's defective. I agree with previous comments, lots of trouble for little gain. And don't forget that a higher resolution means more pixels to handle for your video card so some games might not run as smoothly as before or you might have to lower some settings.

You may have replaced the same laptop screen before, but not a different one. Every laptop screen is different, has different connectors, different power requirements, etc.

Best solution is to invent a time machine, go back when you bought that laptop and buy one with a better screen. You have a better chance of this working.

If you want to spend $100-$200 on the new screen and see if it works, go ahead. You might get lucky that it works but the same connector doesn't mean they work on the same pins, etc.

cklaubur

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I'd suggest research. If your laptop had a selection of LCD panels available, you should be able to easily (depending on the directions for disassembly and reassembly) swap in a higher resolution panel.

Casey

jay_curtis36

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
It does, I guess I'll be using an external monitor.

jay_curtis36

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
Thanks, but I guess buying a new panel is not worth the risk... maybe when I have enough $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.