Microsoft Surface, Samsung ultrabook, or something else?

Evire

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Hi guys.

I am a student and use a PC in every class all the time. Since the laptops is getting rather old, I want to get something new. So I was thinking about a windows 8 tablet or an ultrabook. So far I have looked at

Microsoft surface: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-Windows-Tablet-only/dp/B009XKJ4H8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352857010&sr=8-1&keywords=surface

Samsung - Touch-Screen Ultrabook 13.3: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Touch-Screen+Ultrabook+13.3%22+Laptop+-+500GB+HDD+%2B+24GB+ExpressCache+-+Silver/6774611.p?id=1218806579532&skuId=6774611&ky=2oh0NrwOl4j1qjMx3Oy2gXfVGhMUl0WiJ&ci_src=5784816&ci_sku=6774611&ref=25&loc=PGR

Are there any other tablets or ultrabooks that I should look into? The only thing keeping me away from getting the Surface is that it is Windows 8 RT. And I want full compatibility with all windows programs. My budget is $1000

Thanks

maestro0428

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I would go with a laptop still these days because the inputs on tablets just aren't there yet. There are tons of good ones out there, especially in your price range. What will you do with it? If you are mostly doing notes and research, you could probably spend a lot less and still get everything you need.

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
The ultra book is obviously the best choice, you're not gaming on it, it can run stuff for school on it and carry it around very easily; RT won't run very many things too.

I think the Samsung ultra book is a good choice, but you should evaluate your choices on what it will be for though; you can get away with lower if it's only for school work. If you want to watch a movie\clip, listen to music, or browse the internet, while away from the desktop, a light device with good battery life will be a good choice too.

If you want something really awesome, wait for the Surface with Windows 8 Pro, full compatibility and an i5 to boot. Might be expensive though; probably still not worth it though for you.

Evire

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Thank you all for the replies. Looks like a tablet is out of the picture. Any other ultrabooks that are recommended? I am not sure if I get the most out of the price with this one.

ambzie

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

You've probably already bought one, but I've had the same questions. Ultrabooks are relatively expensive and don't have a disk drive. Laptops start at $300 but are very HEAVY.

I've decided on a tablet specifically the Windows Surface RT because it does everything I want it for. It gives the option of being able to use it on the go (ie on the train/bus) with the detachable keyboard where as a ultra book would kind of be too fiddly and doesn't have the touch screen.

Hope this helps, if not let me know what you did. :)

bluhefner

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Why won't you wait a bit and wait for the prices to dramatically drop down? bare in mind that new GPUS are coming up and therefore the prices will go down :) esspecially on those more expensive laptops unless of course they will be completely replaced like clevo did last year -.-

wsx123_34

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013