UX32A SSD problem: should inbuilt SSD be visible in BIOS and Windows?

staticsteve

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Hi,

I hope somebody may be able help me with what I think is a fundamental problem with the SSD in my Asus UX32A.

The machine is supposed to come with a 500GB HDD and a 24GB SDD to speed up hibernation etc. However, I can't find any evidence of the SDD. It's not visible in the BIOS (as far as I can see) or in Windows Diskmanager.

Screenshots:
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2

Therefore my basic question is should the SSD be visible? And if so, presumably I have a hardware problem rather than a driver problem as the driver shouldn't affect the BIOS?

I have seen other posts where people have problems with the SSD in Windows, however other people appear to report that the SSD is visible in the BIOS.

The background to my question is that I've had the computer for 1 month, and have just upgraded to Windows 8. Upon upgrading I installed Expresscache which gave me an error message that Expresscache couldn't be set up as no SSD could be found. Before upgrading I never thought to check if the SSD was present.

Thanks for your help!

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
The SSD acts as a hardware cache and won't show up in the BIOS. It isn't a separate drive as far as Windows is concerned.

staticsteve

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Thanks, I appreciate your reply. But I'm still a little confused as I've seen posts on other forums where people discuss using the SSD to boot Windows and posts where people show the SSD as visible, e.eg:
SSD visible
Using SSD to install Windows on UX32VD which has similar HDD SSD setup

Therefore I'm still unsure if
a) I could be misreading the BIOS as shown in my screenshots in the first post
b) the SSD isn't meant to show up in the BIOS as suggested
c) the SSD is broken
d) The Windows 8 upgrade did something to the SSD

ventus83

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

Assuming you are using Windows 7:

Right click on Computer, select Properties. On the left pane click on Device Manager. In the opening window expand Disk Drives.

The list should include SanDisk SSD i100 24GB under the Hitachi HDD.

Does it show up there?

smackpotato

Honorable
May 24, 2013
Im having the same problem here . the disk does not show up in disk manager , does not show up in bios , does not show up in device manager, eccmd says that it is not mounted. is there firmware we can flash

TRENDING THREADS