CPU throttles badly..

mclericp

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Firstly, please read my situation as i find it abnormal.

1 year ago i bought my HP dv6. When i play games like skyrim, gw2, the temperature always goes around 65-70 degrees celcius for both CPU, GPU and motherboard. I did experience some throttling but only like 2-3 FPS loss or a slight lag. My Processing power is set to 90% always. The fan does spin noisily but overall, i dont see any huge issues aside from the occasional <10fps in crowded areas ingame.

My specs: AMD 6570m gddr5, i7 2630QM 2.0ghz, 4gb ram, some WD HDD and the company is HP

Now, about 2 weeks ago, every game i play, even those 'light games' like Starcraft 1, every 3min or so, my CPU will throttle down to absolutely ridiculous speed, and ingame i get about 5FPS or less(used fraps) for every game! My temps are still 65-70 deg, voltage still the same, nothing, no changes.

So i am extremely confused why this happened. If it throttles due to overheating, why didnt it throttle badly before?

mclericp

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
I also would like to add, when the CPU reduced speed, it sometimes went so badly that my whole PC hanged, crashed, and i hear booming sounds(from the game) like the PC was about to explode.

mclericp

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
i could not open the laptop as i need to dissemble most of the laptop, including the keyboard etc, as the fan and heatsink are really hard to reach. Whoever design this piece of crap dv6 needs to be sent to a concentration camp x.x
Anyway i cant reach the dust and couldnt clean it.

And yea, i have known it as overheating, but why does it simply suddenly throttle so badly and didnt occured in the past? I mean, it is the same temperature, settings etc.

mclericp

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Thats what i did.
Minimum: 65 degrees on all 4 cores, 64 on GPU motherboard.
Maximum: 70 Core 0, 72 Core 1, 69 Core 2, 67 Core 3. Max GPU is 69 deg and Max motherboard is 69 too.
I have these temps since the day i used this laptop to play games.
I really dont know what is going on now x.x

mclericp

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
just noticed there isnt an edit button.
I just found out that, even under normal internet browsing, the cpu would ocassionally throttle and all the webpages etc etc will stop responding and the mouse would freeze. However, i used HwMonitor and found out that my temps are only 55degish! According to several posters on the HP forum, 55 deg for web browsing is normal and not a sign of overheating. But i dont know why my fan spins like a maniac during this time. I suspect hardware issues?

mclericp

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
The first one was taken during gaming, the 65-72ish one
The second one was taken when i browse facebook

CPU usage: Currently for guild wars 2, where this issue seemed to happen the most, i have about 50% CPU usage max, currently sitting at 34%. I believe it could reach 70% at most. Btw physical memory is 72%

mclericp

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

this is because if i set to 100%, the temp will shoot up to 85+. And it has always been 85 degrees at 100%. The CPU pumped too much voltage IMO. And the cpu will throttle even more. I doubt cleaning those dust will help a lot since i had this issue since day 1 and only now i get serious throttling.

And additional info: My laptop smells like burnt metal, seriously think it is some fault at the fan or cpu
and could it be my battery that causes this heating stuff?? just a thought

stickg1

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Take the laptop apart and put some quality thermal compound on the CPU. Clean off the old stuff from both the CPU and heatsink, blow all the dust out, and apply fresh thermal paste.

If you're not confident to take apart your entire laptop then take it to a shop. Almost every laptop I have disassembled required me to remove the keyboard, screen, everything. It's not hard, take pictures as you go along to remember where things go and where/how they plug in to the main board. Also a little tip: work on a tray so the screws don't run away from you.

mclericp

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

thanks, i suspect i would have to do something like this in the end. Guess i would just bring it to a shop later on when i have the time.

mclericp

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
I found the manual thanks. it is the Hp dv6 4023TX and there is a step by step on how to dismantle the laptop
But i also found something, when i set CPU process power to 100%, the throttle happens very little, not as often, but the temps would soar to 80 and the fan goes nuts. Some people said that setting 'coolest mode' on HP coolsense, will cause unwanted throttling when playing games but if i set on performance mode, i can see my temps reaching 85 or so. Not a good idea, but the throttling kinda went less frequent.

So i figured that it is HP coolsense, the processing CPU % as well as dust problem probably that caused this. Hate you HP x.x

stickg1

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Is a laptop bro. This is normal. You have a powerful CPU in a tiny space with a really small fan and borderline inadequate heatsink. Cleaning will help and so will better thermal paste. But it will still be in the mid 70s.

mclericp

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
i found the reason now. It is HP coolsense. When i set it to Performance optimized, i no longer get those throttling. But i get a 85 deg max CPU temp and the gpu hit 80 too. Very worrying, guess i will clean the dusts