Presario Hard Drive Failing

peaceworks

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Hi all. I have a Compaq Presario notebook, warranty expired March, 2012. Seven weeks ago it refused to boot but powered up as usual. Since then I've managed to get it to boot successfully several times but only after powering on/off as much as 60 or 70 times over a two or three day period. Once booted, it performs as well as always, no issues whatsoever. I've run scans on the hard drive many times and after doing so with Hard Disk Sentinel software it reported that the hard drive would fail in four days. This after each scan resulted in no reported problems or bad sectors, etc. The built-in HP maintenance utilities and software consistently reports the hard drive as performing properly. Has anybody else on this forum run into or heard of this before? I've owned many PC's over the years and never lost a hard drive, even those 5 and 6 years old and older. I've just recently purchased a netbook to use till I decide what to do next.

I've heard that manufacturers now place a sensor of some sort in the HD system that ensures the product will fail shortly after warranty expiration, the premise being this is an industry-accepted method to increase revenue by manipulating more frequent need for PC replacement. May simply be bullshit. I'm wondering if I have any recourse here, or if any forum member here with more tech smarts than I, can offer some advice. In any event, thanks for even reading my long-winded post.