Milk on my moms laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

madandtay

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Hello,
me and my best friend ( sister) were on skype and we spilt milk on the key board. we took some keys out and tried to soak up the milk. we shook the computer. and nothing happened and were putting the keys back on. please help us fix this or were in deep doo doo.

If the computer does NOT turn on that's a serious problem.

In some cases, the problem can be addressed by removing the main components (battery, hard drive, RAM, keyboard) that can be accessed and blowing air into it with a hair dryer on LOW HEAT for five minutes to evaporate the remaining liquid.

Unfortunately, if you drop liquid on a working computer you may create a short circuit that damages vital components.

*If you smell something burning or see any smoke you've definitely destroyed some main components that likely mean the laptop is unsalvageable.

Nothing you can do now except wait for the milk to dry out before attempting to turn on the laptop. Put it in the warmest place in the apartment / house. It make take a couple of days for it to dry out.

Worst case scenario is the laptop short circuit and is now dead.

madandtay

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

uhm. i didnt cut the power out. do you know how i can fix it?

bigcyco1

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
I did feel bad for you till i seen the way you acted to others trying to help you :pfff: hopefully mom your butt so good you can't sit down for a week!

johnbl

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

remove any power, ac power and remove the battery. turn laptop upside down so the liquid does not work
into the internals of the laptop. get a can of compressed air or take the laptop to a garage that has a air compressor that you can use to blow compressed air into the laptop keyboard to blow out the liquid before it dries. get a bag of rice put it in a cloth bag and place the laptop keyboard down on the bag of rice, place both the bag of rice and laptop in a paper bag for 24 hours to 48 hours.

at this point you can either take the machine apart and inspect or just provide power and see if the machine works as expected. I would just install the AC power not the battery at first to see if it works. (laptop batteries are expensive and you don't want to needlessly fry one)

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.