Sager NP6165

diskra

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Hi. Few months ago (beginning of September) I ordered the Sager NP6165. Everything was great until earlier this evening when something went wrong. The computer started making a real loud noise that comes out of the left side vent. This noise occurs almost always even when the computer is Idle. It's as it is running at full power (I assume the GPU). Now, I have checked all settings, I tried setting so everything runs on the Intel GPU, I tried setting so everything runs on the Nvidia Optimus GPU and it made no difference; the random loud noise still occurs. I even reformatted the computer just so I am sure it was not because of some applications or what not but it did not help either. As a matter of fact, this noise I am speaking of kept occurring WHILE the reformat was taking place. I tried setting the power plan to power save, balanced , and every other possible plan but made no difference. I am not sure what else to do and I am really worried something is going wrong as this sort of noise never happened regardless of what intense or non-intense application the computer was running. It happens when the system is idle let alone when it is running something. Please help!

These are the specs:

15.6" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED LCD w/nVIDIA GeForce® GT 650M w/1GB GDDR5 - nVIDIA Optimus Switchable Graphics
Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM (2.3~3.3GHz) w/6M L3 Cache - 4 Cores - 8 Threads
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/1600 Dual Channel Memory
FREE UPGRADE TO 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive
Combo Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
4-in-1 Memory Card Reader (MS/MS PRO/SD/MMC)
Integrated 802.11 b/g/n wireless LAN + Bluetooth™ V3.0 Combo Card
6-cell Smart Li-ion Battery (62.16Wh)

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
It could be the fan gone bad or the hard drive failing (more common than we'd like =/).

Best way to make sure is to ask in Sager for a quick look up or a savvy friend to open it up and check the HDD and fans in a PC or something.

Cheers!

diskra

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
I doubt it's the hard drive, but interesting enough, the nvidia cp no longer allows me to change or set specific applications to run on integrated cpu graphics or on the 650m, it has the integrated graphics selected and grayed out, cant change it at all. I re installed the driver and same...

diskra

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Update: i always do Fn-f1 when i start my machine up to turn off the trackpad as i have external mouse and keyboard; well, apparently Fn-1 turns off/on the fan speed/control or whatever is called; and it looks like i somehow did that key combo. Wow it had mi scared for a while