Is Seagate Momentus XT 750gb will solve my slowness problem

memoooo500

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Hello there
I have " hp pavilion dv6 6c65sx " and its specs
Processors: Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM 2.2 GHz
Memory type: 8 GB DDR3
Hard drive :Toshiba MK1059GSM 1000 GB SATA (5400 rpm)
Graphics : AMD Radeon HD 7690M XT (2 GB DDR5 dedicated)
====================================================
My problem is that my windows load time , hard access time , response time and application launch time is not fast enough and take long time that are not expected from these kind of specification so i try all the solution here for slowness and nothing happen , and so from what i read i understand that the problem is that i have a 5400 rpm HDD , so i decided to change it with
WD Scorpio Black hdd , then i read about Seagate Momentus XT 750gb and i thought that it may be the one that will solve my problem ,
so from the experience of the people who try that hard( the 750 not the 500gb) is it compatible well with Microsoft os and linux os ??? will it solve my problems of load time ,access time and app launch time ??? Does it have any problem at all ?? sorry for that short story but i really want to know every thing about that hard, coz most of what i found was talking about the old version 500gb and i want to know about the real experience of the 750 gb , hope to found my answers here

ginghus_khan2000

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
I've got a couple of 750gb Momentus XT and one of the 500 XTs to. Compatibility is fine, everything I throw at them, very transparent. They are fast hard drives, boot time are close to SSD (I have a couple of computers with SSDs) but the rest of the functions are like a fast spinning drive and not as fast as SSD of course. They are just a bit noisy, nothing bad. If you don't need a lot of space, get an SSD, consistent speed but if you need the space, the XT is a great compromise. I'm duel booting one of the drives, the drive handles it just fine. I was a little curious about how it would handle booting to OSs but I haven't noticed a problem. I don't have anything to say about reliability yet.

dudewitbow

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
it plays sort of as a middleman between hdd's and ssds. it stores some of the applications launch data for quick flash use, but of course, that space is limited, so it helps aiding some of the loading, but not all of it when it comes to large programs. You will see much faster boot time though.

memoooo500

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

thanks ginhus , but could u explain how much noisy it is

memoooo500

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

so if i frequently use large application like vmware, matlap and photoshop , is it will be fast launching or normal coz these are most of application i daily use and on my lap its take long time to launch as most of applications do .

memoooo500

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

You are right it's a matter of feeling but it is true that its a hdd fault and we can say that it is the normal performance of a 5400 hdd , and iam sure it is not other problem , and unfortunately my lap only has one bay for hdd so the size is matter also with speed , that is why i go for the momntus xt 750 and want to know if it will be as seagate say or just propaganda

memoooo500

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

okay i now have 2 choices
1- try the momntus XT 750 but i want to know if it will be fast and solve my slowness

2- i use the ssd(but does hp pavilion dv6 6c65sx support ssd) and it will be expensive , and here i have a question can i replace my dvd drive with my current hdd and use the ssd as my master drive for os and other installation ? my lap model is pavilion dv6 6c65sx , kindly check it and tell me if it could be done .

memoooo500

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

thanks calmlikeabomb i will consider your advice to use the ssd as my master and use my current hdd as external , but i also need to know more about seagate momentus xt so if u cane also tell me more about it , it will be great

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
IMHO, coupling a SSD with a HDD defeats most of the purpose of using a SSD. You will get improved launch and boot times from a SSD but the real reason to use a SSD is reliability which is negated by coupling with a HDD. Most people (including myself) use an SSD to boot from and a HDD for storage. Mine is external which I prefer.

memoooo500

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

thanks ram1009 , i think i will do that as calmlikeabomb advised me and you too , to use SSD to boot from and use my current as external hard drive because it seems to be the best solution to get the best performance of my cpu and ram , but the question now what is the best 256G SSD i should purchase to get the maximum performance ?? as i found in the charts here many SSD and i do not know which is the best

memoooo500

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

thanks calmlikeabom but i will go with your advise and buy a 256G or 128G SSD and use my current hdd as external drive , but i dono't know what is the best 256G SSD i should purchase to get the maximum performance ????

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007

I own two brands. A Crucial M4 and a Samsung 830 and recommend both.

memoooo500

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
okay thanks , and i read a little about ssd and find this one OCZ vertex 4 , so i dn not know what is the difference between it and Samsung 830 so could you tell me what is the difference between them , and how much that difference will affect me because i want to use it for application like matlap , Photoshop, 3dmax and application like that for image processing which will need fast hard so i need to know the difference to buy something good

Here's some real world tests:

Windows Boot Time w/ THG Tier 1 SSD = 15.6 seconds (i7-2600k 16 GB desktop)
Windows Boot Time w/ Seagate Barracuda XT = 21.2 seconds (same desktop)
Windows Boot Time w/ Momentus 750 GB = 16.4 seconds (3720 QM laptop)

MMO Load Time Time w/ THG Tier 1 SSD = 45.5 seconds (desktop)
MMO Load Time Time w/ Seagate Barracuda XT = 45.5 seconds (same desktop)
MMO Load Time Time w/ Momentus 750 GB = 22.1 seconds (laptop)

Can't explain the difference in the MMO load times on the lappie other than it's a new server.....haven't had achnace to retest the desktop w/ Hurrican Sandra having knocked out internet at home.

I'm quite content with the performance of the Momentus and though I have built about 2 dozen machines with Tier 1 SSD's from this point on, I would find it very hard to justify the cost of an SSD from a "return on investment" standpoint. What I mean by ROI is actual time saved under real usage conditions. That maeans all the time spent tweaking an SSD and managing "what goes where" has to be subracted form any time savings. Employee productivity certainly won't change with the 0.8 second OS boot time.

Of course if having high benchies and bragging rights is a priority, the Moments won't put you at the tippity top.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
I doubt you will notice any performance differences among SSDs unless you routinely deal with huge files. Personally, I ignored the performance numbers when I made my selection. Also, they all exaggerate. I know that's hard to believe. My concern was/is for reliability and OCZ has had many complaints in that area as well as customer support. You can usually find an OCZ a little cheaper than a Samsung but not nearly enough for me to take the risk. Remember you must live with your choice long after you forget how much you paid for it.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007

I agree that performance increases of an SSD are not worth the investment however the reliability improvement is the major reason for using one, IMHO. One adventure with a data recovery service will make my point to anyone.

memoooo500

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

thanks man so what are your recommendations?? , i go for momentus xt , or choose the SSD as i been advised( and the guys here really help me and recommended ssd for me) and if i choose ssd what is the best 128G ssd i should choose

memoooo500

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

Thanks man for enlightening me i did not know that about OCZ " and when i saw the review of OCZ Vertex 4 on youtube it seems very good " , so I'm getting confused now which is the best choices in ssd ???