Is it worth buying this m17x on a 3k budget?

mendameister

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Alienware M17x laptop. I kind of wanted a laptop which has an SSD but unfortunately i couldn't find one at this price with specs as good. (I did find ultrabooks with SSD but they weren't graphically decent)

Any suggestions would help, planning to buy this by tomorrow.

3rd Gen I7 - 3630QM (6mb cache, upto 3.4Ghz w/ Turbo boost)
12gB ddr3 1600mhz (4Dimms)
2gb GDDr5 AMD Radeon HD 7970M (this isn't the crossfire one)
1TB (2x 500gb SATA 7200RPM + 64gb mSATA caching SSD)
Killer Wireless networking 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO for Gaming & Video and Bluetooth 4.0
Blu-ray reader.

and the rest is standard alienware things.

Any suggestions? and any alternative laptops that's substantially better (at least 10-20% better than this one, at the same or reduced price) Thanks. I'm living on campus in university so the weight isn't really a problem. I'll be using it for both gaming (mostly offline and fps) and notes.

mendameister

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Oh, and if anyone has alternatives that are ALOT better at this price, could you also tell me what specs to put on it? I'm not so good with setting-up the laptops myself. and plan on using whichever one i get for a good 4 years. (Oh, and $600 out of the Alienware laptop is spent on extended warranty, which is for liquid damage and everything else)

fpoon

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
I'm making $86 an hour working from home. I was shocked when my neighbour told me she was averaging $95 but I see how it works now. I feel so much freedom now that I'm my own boss. This is what I do, http://Fox90.Com

Get out.

You can get better stuff for 3k. Check out Sager notebooks on XoticPC, some of them are a really good deal if you're getting the same specs. Alienware is only worth it if you decide on Crossfire or SLI.

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
the only thing I would change with your OP setup of the Alienware would be to get it with only 1 drive so that you can install an SSD yourself and put the OS on it with some games

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
That's a lot of money for a mobile gaming PC.

You could buy a cheap laptop for school to carry to classes only, and spend the rest for a gaming PC, and probably have money left over.

bigshootr8

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
yea I would say the msi solution is quite strong I linked it earlier and mend be careful I know the moderators don't like bumping. The msi solution is cool because it has 2 ssd's in raid. A GTX680M chip and a blu ray burner :p Also something I don't see much of but it also has a Killer NIC which I think is crazy to see in a notebook.